Author Topic: Bow #001 - Vine Maple 50# @ 28"  (Read 11800 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Bow #001 - Vine Maple 50# @ 28"
« on: February 03, 2008, 06:30:20 pm »
Well, I finally did it!  I now have a notch in the wood bench designating bow #1.  It was a very long process.  I'd almost say a frustrating process due to the number of staves I went through to get a shootable bow, but it was extremely surprising to me how enjoyable the learning process was.  I'd hinge a stave and have to start over, I'd find a crack in another and have to start over, I'd completely make wrong cuts on others and yep, had to start over.  But each time it was easy to notch it to the learning process.  Luckily I cut enough staves in late fall to produce this one!!  (Pictures to follow, I hear everyone here tends to like pictures... :)).

This particular bow came from a rather special day.  My schedule was amazingly free one Saturday, and my father too, had some time to spare.  He and I packed up the Explorer, his Golden Retriever and my Black Lab and went for a drive 45 minutes to our west into the colorful fall colors of the I-90 cooridor over Snoqualmie Pass (Washington State).  I take the opportunity on every one of my business trips to the big city of Seattle to scope out a few of the vine maple groves off the highway.  We visited one of my most recent finds.  It was a fun trip that he and I had.

We harvested several nice staves that day - one in particular was a small 2" diameter "tree".  Usually these things grow in bushes of vines - but this one I remember as a lone tree - shooting straight up from its root (again, rather unuasual for the VMs).  I didn't think much of it, and passed it by a few times before giving a good look.  It had potential, I thought - at least to my very inexperienced novice bowyers-eye...   Funny how a tree can look straight and knot free as can be .... until you remove its bark. 

Well, we cut this lone tree - and below is the bow she gave back.    ((no worries, we cut with thought in mind too - just one or two from each clump in a wide area))     And as for the poor staves that had to endure my trial and error, I've made several trinkets of their after maths :) - and the rest of their souls went to heating the shop, keeping my fingers warm.

Well, I fought and fought for a name for this new creation - I had considered using a name to give meaning to that lone standing vine maple, but instead chose one to memorialize that day with my pop.  We both treasure days where we can get into the woods together - so the name was made:  "A Day with Dad" - works well for me!

Many thanks to Gordon for sharing his how-to with me in public and private messsages, for his build along, and for his continuous encouragement for me to just stay the course.  Another round of thanks to the others on this site for their endless and friendly advice.  Also to those of you who, along with myself, have been hounding these poor folks for their hard earned information - it has helped us all I'm sure. 

(is it just me, or is anyone else envisioning me on stage at the academy awards giving my "thank you" speech ???  heheh   ::))

Pictures next!!
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline BigWapiti

Re: Bow #001 - Vine Maple 50# @ 28"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 06:36:42 pm »
This is certainly a character stave - never had I thought it would have been so wavy and twisted seeing it standing so straight and tall in the woods that day.

I learned a lot on this one - ended up with a bit too much string follow (learned to not over work the limbs until you get that hinge taken care of), a twisted limb (the result of my layout),  a two piece handle section (a slight slip of the bandsaw blade), some issues with the stain (try it on a scrap stave as many times it take to get it right -- and sand lightly between coats (some color removed from the bumps and curves inherant to VM).

But hey, whats a first bow if you don't learn from the experience.  I still love the thing, twist, curves, follow and all!!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 06:38:32 pm »
You said you like pictures around here.... remember, this is my new baby... I want everyone too goo goo and gaw gaw with me here.  ;D

Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 06:41:52 pm »
Last set....

btw, it shoots great too -- but about a 100 or so through her before the finish went on - a little hand shock (learned from that one too) and she sure beats on my wrist (maybe inherant to a long bow - being a recurve shooter for years).   

So, this being my first, I compare it to my first and only kid getting his license and wanting to hit the road for the first time.  I really  really   REALLLLY don't want to shoot it and have it break!!!  Is this normal?  Should I wall hang it?   Is that fair?  I would really like to see deer in the freezer with it.  I digress ------ here's the last set of pics.

Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:45:47 pm »
Aboslutely gorgeaus. I love it. You should be extremely proud
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Loki

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 07:08:04 pm »
Aye it's a nice Bow! What finish have you used? it's got a nice shine to it.
Durham,England

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 07:19:57 pm »
Loki and david w. thanks for your comments.

Here's some specifics:
* Vine Maple stave
* 62 1/2" NTN
* Handle 1 1/8"
* 1 1/2" at fades for 12"  up limbs
* 5/8" nocks

Stain is Black and Drk Brown leather dye
Finish is 15 coats of Tru-Oil
Shelf is hardwood sanded to fit
Handle is leather (recycled brown leather jacket, dyed black)
Trinkets are antler horn dyed Drk Brown

If I end up using it as a hunting bow, I'll tone down the finish a bit.

Here's some of the links that helped me get it done:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4372.msg62703.htm
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4800.msg66289.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:26:32 pm by BigWapiti »
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 07:46:21 pm »
looks very good, especially for your first its a great job. it looks like one that would be in my collection of "twisted limbs". excellent excellent job.  no big deal on the string follow, but if it didnt take it, i would say its perfect!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

330bull

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »
I love it!  Outstanding finish work! 

You make me want to post my next bows on March 1st...  >:D

Keep the Vine Maple love a-flowin'!

Joe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 07:58:38 pm »
You did an excellent job on this difficult bow and the fact it is #001(might wanna add a few more "0" just in case you get addicted ;D ) makes it even more impressive! 8)
   If you want to knock the shine off, a quick spray of satin poly will do it and will last. ;)
   My wife and I visit the Portland area almost every year and in some of our travels, usually in early October, we can see the vine maples in the drainage areas in the Cascade and Coastal Ranges. I guess it is the only deciduous trees in those drainages. Almost the only fall color in the conifer forests.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 07:59:31 pm »
 Congratulations Mike, Thats one to be proud of for sure. My first bow didn't look half that good. You are well on your way to being a fine bowyer and with Gordon mentoring I'm sure we will see some more great works of art.  Love the colors and the character.   Keenan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 08:09:17 pm »
That is an incredible bow.  The color is nice also. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 08:48:01 pm »
Great looking bow. You did a good job nailing the tiller with that whoopie-doo in the top limb. Excellent job on the stain, finish, and detail work, too. Looks ten times better than my first bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 08:48:15 pm »
Well what can I say yer first born is one lttle sweetie ;D
You sure set yourself a task and stuck to it, congrats very nicely done.
Ok when ya starting #002 ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 09:47:57 pm »
Thanks all - and for the record, constructive critisisms would be greatly appreciated.  I know its far from perfect - I've at least proven that I can make block of wood look perdy.  My #2 and beyond will build on this one, so bring on the feedback.

#2 is already stated DanaM - in the drying rack now.  Thinking Spring so I can get some more.

After fighting a tough hinge at the fade early in the tillering, I honestly got paranoid to touch the area again; and hesitant to work any one area in too much detail.  I think that maybe I could have evened out the curve a little better; next time..... 
Mike B.
Central Washington State