Author Topic: Yew static (No. 63)  (Read 6167 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
Yew static (No. 63)
« on: May 03, 2015, 04:12:33 am »
I made a bunch of new bows the last weeks. Here is the last one, it is very low dense yew, only 6 or 7 rings per inch, grown in my homeland (elevation 365m). Not good for ELBs, so I decided to go for a flattie with statics. The stave was deflex above handle, so I heated in the same amount on the lower fade. On the back are two additional rings of sap going from fade to fade, just as a looker. The recurves are steamed in and a piece of horn on the belly secures the very soft wood from string cutting in. The tips are made also from a thin piece of horn and an accent of osage. There are some nice kinks and waves in the stave. The handle is upholstered at one side to fit the palm perfectly. I'm always trying to do different stitchings on my leatherwork. Shelf and arrow pass is made of stingray leather.
Still needs some coats of finish and some work with steel whool.

The bow is 65”, 1½” wide at max., at handle only ⅝”, weighs 535 grams and pulls 64#.

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline chamookman

Re: Yew static (No. 63)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:15:00 am »
Outstanding ! Always enjoy seeing You work. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 05:45:55 am »
Very classy.
Have you tried an ELB out of very low ring count Yew?
I made a 130# warbow from fairly low count... not as low as the stuff you have here... I'd be interested to know what you find as I respect your opinion.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:02:06 am »
Another fine example of your work Simon.  I like how your experience allows you to design a bow to get the most out of a stave or piece of wood that others may scrap.  Very nice detailing too.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm always inspired by your craftsmanship and knowledge.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:54:16 am »
Looking good simson. I just so happen to be putting the finishing touches on a low elevation yew myself. I got the wood from my sons backyard. How do you feel about the performance?

Offline Ken S

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:47:59 am »
Very sweet bow!!!!!!!

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:03:03 am »
As usual, amazingly done! just love those curves and tip work, ever hollow limb design with yew? Just curious. Love the bow-Hammertime

Offline adams89

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 10:23:38 am »
once again a real beauty! the handle is not my thing, but that's just me, you are a great bowyer,very nice bow simon! 

Offline Hans H

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:49:49 pm »
perfect job, looks fine.     Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 02:44:30 pm »
That has very classic look to me. I love it. I bet it performs quite nicely. Very unique stitching pattern. Masterfully crafted.

Have you tried heat treating coarse grain yew? I find a good shellacking and tempering gives it qualities of denser yew.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 08:02:37 pm »
Beautiful Simon

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 08:17:06 am »
Thats a beautiful piece of yew and a beauty of a bow. I like the shape with the deflex coming out of the handle and the nicely done statics. Your finish work is perfect as usual and the tips and handle wrap set it off nicely.  And the full draw shot, well that speaks for itself. I'll be coming back to view this one often, killer work Simon.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 02:31:10 pm »
Looks great for sure. I agree with Carson, heat treating thick ringed yew works good, but un heated is good too. 

Offline simson

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 03:44:49 pm »
Thanks everybody - I appreciate your comments!

Very classy.
Have you tried an ELB out of very low ring count Yew?
I made a 130# warbow from fairly low count... not as low as the stuff you have here... I'd be interested to know what you find as I respect your opinion.
Del

Del, I'm by far no expert on yew, just about 10 or so yew bows under my belt. But yes I've done ELBs out of that low dense stuff, not that high drawweight like you, only 50-65#. My thoughts are this low dense stuff takes with ELB cross section much set. This makes me thinking the rectangular cross section of a flattie is better.

Looking good simson. I just so happen to be putting the finishing touches on a low elevation yew myself. I got the wood from my sons backyard. How do you feel about the performance?

Performance is very good,  I estimate the speed is a little lower than my last posted osage birthday bow. But it's a pleasure shooting a relative long static recurve. With that small skinny handle (arrow pass) I can shot stiff arrows and they fly like darts.

As usual, amazingly done! just love those curves and tip work, ever hollow limb design with yew? Just curious. Love the bow-Hammertime

Haven't found a suitable yew stave  till now, but will definitely do.

That has very classic look to me. I love it. I bet it performs quite nicely. Very unique stitching pattern. Masterfully crafted.

Have you tried heat treating coarse grain yew? I find a good shellacking and tempering gives it qualities of denser yew.

Yeah, I have tried that - not on that stick but on a small splinter of yew. Got an increase of weight of about 10#. I think taht bow is still in my possession, will try to find and post. It is a nice simple stick.
Do you really first shellack the wood and then applying heat? No problems with shellack burning?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 04:10:51 pm »
I love this bow man that low ring count yew looks really cool.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.