Author Topic: Glue for splicing billets with W  (Read 8503 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Glue for splicing billets with W
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 10:18:12 am »
Sounds like great advice. Now you guys got me wanting to try the Z splice!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 12:07:54 pm »
I use only Urac-185 for splices although I am sure TB will work. I too feel dowling will weaken the joint. I often flatten the back of the handle after I splice and glue another piece of wood on to strengthen the handle.

Here is a picture of the extra piece on a handle.

snakebow

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 12:08:45 am »
My first bow that I spliced, i made 2 years ago. I put 2 dowels through the handle and have'nt had a bit of a problem. It is 68" long and 65 lbs. @ 27".

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 03:38:27 pm »
Not to hijack this thread but I have been trying to refurbish an old static tip recurve and I was trying string it and the original glue just released and came apart, but didn't break anything and I was also wondering which glue to use to put it back together?    David ???
San Angelo, Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 04:36:18 pm »
David, Any of the common use glues(Urac, TBII,III, etc) should work. The problem with old bows is that the glue dries out and gets brittle. You will need to remove all the old glue and clean up the glue surfaces before re-gluing.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 10:25:54 am »
Roger Sparks emailed about which glues/ epoxies he suggests. He's the one that has the how- to on splices. He uses urac 185 and has used TBII in the past. He stated that TBII held but always had some reservations about using it to splice.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bcbull

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
personally i like the z splice  i have a lot of reservation on t b 3  for slpices as it is not as strong as urac 185  or bow grip personally i like the bow grip and on thin splices no dowell but if im splicing a stave i use a dowell  hope that helps

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 08:02:59 am »
I use casco strong professional 24h epoxy. (araldite) I also use sauna with 70 celcius for quick/hard drying
the glue.

TBB and other PVA type wood glues do not fill gaps well, so they may not work
that well, if you have bad fitting, but of course with good fittings they are more
durable that the wood they glue.

Gap filling can be made better by dipping the wood to glued under water for 2 days and
then be hammered together and left to dry. After drying they can be taken apart and epoxied together.
(or with wood glue the drying may be done only partially, since the glue is water based.)

I use Z-splice, since it feels like being marginally easier to cut than w, but i do not think the difference is major.