Author Topic: help!  (Read 4446 times)

Offline jayman448

help!
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:11:07 pm »
Snapped six points today. And ive been snapping them all the time since my first overshot break. (I tink im shy of another overshoot so im roing something equally bad. But idk what that is.. frustration!!!!

Offline bubby

Re: help!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:41:43 pm »
Any more info, there's a million ways to snap a point
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:44:40 pm »
Percussion or pressure?  Pictures  would help us alot.  What stage are you at when snapping?

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:08:54 am »
Its all during pressure. Ive just been working glass so i dont ever use percussion at all. They snap on a diagonal with a light S curve about half way - 2/3 they way up the point.

(Side note) i have a heck of a time thinning. Would an ishi stick help?

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:56:14 am »
It sounds like you are getting too much pressure perpendicular to the plane of the point. I suggest three things: 1) put something stiff behind the point so that it does not bend when you apply pressure. 2) be sure to put most or all the pressure in the direction you want the flake to go. New knappers almost always let the angle of the point change as the pressure builds. 3) Have somebody watch your holding hand to see if the point rotates any as you apply pressure. Have fun. We have all been exactly where you are.

WA

Offline jayman448

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:21:42 am »
thanks a ton. last question. im a little lost on "perpendicular to the plane of the point." explain please?

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 10:56:16 am »
Mpst of my work is all pressure too are you using a hand pad i can post some pics of my set-up if you want

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:47:44 am »
Im using a thick leather scrap but am unhappy with this set up. Press off a few flakes and then it forms to my hand so im worried to snap off the tip in the concavity so i flip it over and continue untill it forms to my hand again

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 01:31:00 pm »
Perpendicular to the point's plane. Some would say "down". Some would say "across". That is putting the pressure toward your palm. In the direction of the flake's intended path is putting the pressure toward your wedding ring. Some call that "in".

You may find that a slotted stiff backed flaker pad works best for you. If you have more questions, please post them.

WA

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 02:56:18 pm »
Try Using a rounded pad for most of your flake work during the thin stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2PzROHE8_Y
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 08:04:08 pm »
this shows my handpad made with some brass plate and mudflap, and just how I use it bottom pic first

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:32 pm »
yep buy your pics your putting to much pressure down on  the point and bending it. To me your holding the pad backwards, put it in the palm of your hand and hold the point with the finger tips. Flake then comes of between the pad and the point pressure it towards your palm and "in" on the point, and yes an Ishi stick would maybe help, especially early stage, when you need the power.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:33:49 pm »
Caveman I'm just showing the original poster my hand pad, and beings i am self taught thats how i hold it, my thumb puts even pressure on the point i don't snap too many points with the pad

Offline jayman448

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 12:00:05 am »
so is the brass plate between the rubber?

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 12:06:54 am »
No its the base, one full length rubber and the top is two pc with the notch so the flake releases better, like caveman said i do hold it bass acwards but it works for me