Author Topic: Home made Hi Lo camper?  (Read 36785 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Home made Hi Lo camper?
« on: April 16, 2015, 10:45:03 pm »
A few weeks ago I finally found a good deal on a small trailer.  I've been wanting one for a while but never had the money or found the right deal.  Its 5'X12', with a 2200 lb axle.  The lights worked and the tires were in good shape but the guy told me he didn't know how old they were.  It had non working electric brakes that rubbed enough to get the rims warm on the drive home.  I ripped those off and greased the bearings while I had it apart.  The tires worried me with the amount of weight I want to haul with it.  I went ahead and got two new tires with rims.  I'll use the old ones as spares.

I would like to build a tear drop shaped camper shell for it but don't have enough time before the Classic to make it the way I want to.  I talked it over with my Dad(He's a pretty smart feller) and we tossed around a few different ideas.  We settled on a simple Hi Lo camper design.  The plan is to make a 4' high wall around the camper and then make a 2' lid that will fit over it.  When I get to Pappy's I'll raise the top and latch it in place.  I'll have an inside height of around 5'10" or so.  That's more than enough for me  ::)  We want to put a couple of small windows in it.  I picked up most of the supplies that we need and we are getting started on it early tomorrow morning.  We are trying to make it simple and cheap.  I'll only use it at the Classic and maybe a couple of smaller gatherings.  It just needs to keep me off the ground and out of the rain.  I don't plan on doing any work on the inside of it.  I'll just throw an air mattress down and be good to go.  I'll try to take a few pictures of the progress.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Home made Hi Lo camper?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:54:09 pm »
This is kind of what we are wanting to build.  Just more redneck looking  ;D

I  realize I am setting myself up for some easy short jokes  :P

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:05:34 pm »
Clint, i been mullin over the same idea since the last Classic but aint found a deal on a trailer yet...goodluck Bro.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:11:47 pm »
That's gonna be pretty cool. Clint. I can't wait to see it in person.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 11:47:51 pm »
Brian, I did a lot of Craigslist searching before finding that one.  Got it for 2 bills.

Pat, I hope we have it done in time.

Forgot to mention that we are planning on making it removable so we can store it away when not in use.  I'll be able to use the trailer for other purposes this summer.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 12:18:08 am »
Clint have you looked at the "TAB" design?  I think it's pretty cool.  I would modify it for hauling staves.  Make a back hatch to stick staves in that go under your bed on the inside.   My drawing sucks but you can probably get the idea.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:34 am »
Dave, that's more like what I really wanted to build.  I don't have enough time to get something like that done before the Classic.  Maybe next year.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 01:06:31 am »
Hey, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.  :)    Just make it so you can easily unbolt and slide if off the trail.   Wahlah a deer blind. ;)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 06:29:55 am »
Glad you found a trailer! Sounds like the plan will work just fine. My father in law had the idea of putting a slide in truck camper on his trailer with non permanent anchors for our deer camp. Sometimes find a used one for a decent price.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 06:57:27 am »
That's the great thing about the people I have met at the classic!  They think "I can build that!"  Its been my misfortune to think that way all my life and going to the Classic to meet a bunch of talented like minded people is what its all about!  Can't wait to see your trailer!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 11:23:20 am »
Cool!  Post lots of photos.

Have been pondering the possibilities of building something like that myself.
Mine will have to be fairly nice so the wife will stay in it. ::)

So....  You going to "Raise the Roof" when you get to the Classic?

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:29 pm »
I'll pop for some insul board for the interior if it will keep the sound of your snoring down!  >:D :laugh:

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 03:25:37 pm »
Great idea clint, but do ya need the hi part >:D :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 10:30:45 pm »
David, I'll need some help raising the roof  ;)

Sounds like a plan Scott  ;D

Bubby, It's awful tempting to just slap a roof on it as it is now but I want room to stand up. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 10:31:20 pm »
Great idea clint, but do ya need the hi part >:D :laugh:

That was unkind and completely uncalled for.  You should apologize for insinuating he may never have guests visiting in his camper.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.