Author Topic: Sinew backed juniper full draw pics pg 2  (Read 6328 times)

Offline IndianGuy

Re: Sinew backed juniper (in progress)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 04:20:09 pm »
Pearl is right on in his advice... In the hot dry Oklahoma summer I usually only wait 10 days for a bow with one thick layer of sinew to cure before I string it. In the winter I wait only 2-3 weeks.
Never had a problem and I actually believe by stringing the bow that soon helps the sinew start working more effectively ...that being said the sinew will continue to cure for some time but the bow will usually only gain weight. Now my experience is only using hide glue/ sinew combination. Not wood glue or Knox.
E

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 05:12:42 pm »
Parnell,
Sounds great as i could use some pointers on my shooting to improve consistency and accuracy.
I will continually update progress on the juniper.

IndianGuy,
Thanks very much for the info on sinew cure times. I sure do like the hide glue/sinew combo with my very limited experience with it. Really is a great resource having experienced folks to help out.
Thanks for everyones advice!

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 08:14:53 pm »
Floridabowyer, pm sent
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:32 pm »
Parnell,
Sounds great as i could use some pointers on my shooting to improve consistency and accuracy.

IndianGuy,
Thanks very much for the info on sinew cure times. I sure do like the hide glue/sinew combo with my very limited experience with it. Really is a great resource having experienced folks to help out.
hide you squirrels. .. lol. .. (inside joke with parnell)
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 10:26:09 pm »
Parnell,

IndianGuy,
hide you squirrels. .. lol. .. (inside joke with parnell)

;D
1’—>1’

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 12:23:07 am »
Looking good Eric!

Isn't all of Florida like 95% humidity year round? ;D  During the wet time of year here in Oregon when it is 70-90% humidity it feels like it talks exponentially longer for sinew to cure, making it necessary to create some artificial micro-climate for curing sinew.  Air-flow really speeds things up.

Cant wait to see this one all finished up.  :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 12:36:58 am »
Looking good Eric!

Isn't all of Florida like 95% humidity year round? ;D  During the wet time of year here in Oregon when it is 70-90% humidity it feels like it talks exponentially longer for sinew to cure, making it necessary to create some artificial micro-climate for curing sinew.  Air-flow really speeds things up.

Cant wait to see this one all finished up.  :)
i live in miami...  our coldest day of the year is usually mid-high 40's and the rest of the time 70-90something...  the humidity really isn't that bad as we always have a nice breeze off the ocean *(i am sure it would feel like high humidity to you) but when i moved here from louisiana 10.5 years ago i was amazed that it felt drier here than back home in the swamp.

i put saplings on my balcony and they dry in an amazingly quick amount of time... due to the sun and breeze...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 02:44:27 pm »
Thanks Carson! I have kept the stave in our walk in closet in the AC and it seems to be curing quickly. I think the cool low humidity air in the house has really helped with the curing as the part of FL I'm located (inland) is a bit more humid than where paco is located(coast). I'm itching to get this thing tillered and hoping it doesn't develop chrysals. Can't wait to get pics up of it all finished and dressed up!!!

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 02:51:43 pm »
I can't wait as well.  Keep us posted.  I have a 41 in ttt juniper in the works at the moment that has 4 layers of sinew which I plan on putting on 1-2 more layers. 

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 03:00:44 pm »
Oglala,
I hope to see your juniper soon. The short bows are really cool in my opinion.

Offline Oakenshield

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 08:23:34 pm »
Looks good FB, I'll be fallowing this one for sure; I plan on sinew backing my next bow.
College Student, Fly Fisherman, New Bowyer, and proud Army Veteran.

A-Troop, 1/75 Cavalry, 2nd Brigade, 101 Airbourne

Offline Floridabowyer

Re: Sinew backed juniper (in progress) full draw
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 11:03:38 am »
Ok finally decided to tiller the juniper bow.
Specs
51" TTT
49 1/2 NTN
1 5/8" at handle tapering to 3/4" just inside nocks
#45 @ 24"
I ended up adding 2 more courses of sinew totaling 7 courses. Backing makes up almost a third of the bow thickness. Freshly unstrung reflex is 3" and pulls to 4.5" overnight. This is a really snappy little bow and so far I'm pleased with the Sinew/Juniper combo.

Offline make-n-break

Re: Sinew backed juniper full draw pics pg 2
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 11:40:21 am »
Man that's a really sweet looking profile. Love the simplicity of that bow. Awesome work.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 11:40:55 am »
That is a sweet little bow. I bet it is snappy!!  8)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 03:00:52 pm »
looks nice congrats,,, :)