Author Topic: Sinew backed juniper full draw pics pg 2  (Read 6326 times)

Offline Floridabowyer

Sinew backed juniper full draw pics pg 2
« on: April 16, 2015, 10:24:26 am »
Here is a clean sapwood only piece of western juniper I have recently sinew backed in hopes of having a good shooter. Been curing for 2 weeks and i'm trying to be patient and let it season until early June. This is my first juniper and only second sinew backed bow. Its 50 inches total and about 1.5 inches wide. 5 courses of elk leg sinew. Keep hearing juniper is good in compression so I'm hoping for NO chrysals. I did reverse brace the stave prior to backing and right now it stands at 4 inches of reflex. Please give suggestions and criticism.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:07:28 am by Floridabowyer »

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Sinew backed juniper (in progress)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:34:57 am »
Reverse brace it higher, ull lose about half of u sinewed correctly. It's gonna stretch.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:13:43 am »
I like it as is. What humidity reading do have it stored at? 3-4 weeks in under 50% is more than enough wait time in my opinion.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:16:29 am »
Well right now he has five courses of sinew so adding more to reverse brace it more seems like a moot point, i think it looks good right now just have at it, wait about 3-4 weeks from sinewing and start tillering
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 11:17:51 am »
I will brace it a bit higher. I'm thinking about laying one more course down which should help with the reflex.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 11:22:39 am »
When did you add the last course? A few things. You cant twist the reflex up higher if the sinew has been down for a week already, it will buckle. You have more than enough sinew already, you add more and you'll suck the belly up and check it and probably over stress it. Id suggest leaving it be to dry down. But hey, what do I know!?!?!?!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 11:31:41 am »
Pearl,
I'm gonna take your advice and leave it as is. It's been in my air conditioned low humidity house for two weeks. Think I'll wait two more weeks and go for it! I've heard folks say round belly for juniper?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 11:35:40 am »
Id leave it flat to work better with the tension strong back. Tension strong woods like flat bellies and/or trapped backs to equalize with the belly.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 11:49:22 am »
Looks good, where are you FLBowyer?
1’—>1’

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 12:25:42 pm »
was the bow floor tillered before you put the sinew on,, if you have room to take off some wood,, just even the reverse tiller a bit,, it will let the sinew pull reflex a bit better,, and make it easier to brace the first time,, if the bow was already tillered some before you put the sinew on then you are good were you are,, I dont think it would hurt to tweek it up just a bit in brace if you want,, I usually do as the sinew is drying,,just dont go crazy :)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 12:36:42 pm »
Missed the part it's been on for 2 weeks. Pearly is the man
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 12:53:51 pm »
Thanks all for the great advice. There is some extra wood on belly so hopefully the sinew will pull more reflex as belly wood is removed. Glad you pointed that out Bradsmith! Glad to have all the knowledge on here because my questions are endless!

Parnell,  I'm located in Leesburg.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 12:57:43 pm »
Very cool and welcome to PA.  You are new, correct?  Do you go to any of the TBOF shoots in Wildwood?  Curious if we have crossed paths before.  I'm in Naples, but head up to Mt. Dora pretty frequently to visit family.
1’—>1’

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 01:57:35 pm »
Parnell,
Thanks and yep I'm new to PA. Have a friend here in town who used to build bows and mentored me through the first couple osage selfbows about a year ago and I've been addicted since!
I have not been to any shoots but want to. I'm on call pretty much all the time with work so it never works out. I do most of my shooting in the backyard but need to go to some shoots because my shooting is mediocre at best. Hopefully soon!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 02:49:35 pm »
Well, I'm always glad to see new blood on here from FL.  There seem to be more and more of us now.  Perhaps we can catch up sometime and shoot a few arrows when I'm up that way.  Look forward to seeing your result. 
1’—>1’