Author Topic: Making Progress  (Read 4029 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Making Progress
« on: April 14, 2015, 05:47:36 pm »
I've dedicated to working hard on knapping this year to make hunting points for my arrows.  Here is a pic of my best so far.  The one on the bottom left is not mine but a template I'm shooting for.  I almost had it the past few points but keep breaking off the tips when trying to thin/sharpen them. 

What tools do you use the final sharpening and tip work?  The ishi stick feels too big to me.

thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Making Progress
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:51:55 pm »
Looking good...I use a smaller pressure flaker than a horseshoe nail flaker to do the sharpening
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 05:55:30 pm »
I use a horseshoe nail for all my fine pressure flaking. You are coming right along nicely. Keep it up.

WA

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:50:40 pm »
Rob, lookin real good. When going from tip to base I start with the hand pressure flaker  to run the first few flakes, when I used the Ishi on the tip I some times got overshot flakes and ruined my other edge, when going the opposite edge base to tip  I start with Ishi and finish tip area with hand pressure flaker, also do alot of final stuff with the horseshoe nail, clean up and final sharping. Clear as mud :o ;D Bob

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 12:08:25 am »
thanks guys!
@Bob well let's say cloudy water.  ;)  Makes sense to use a smaller tool for the tip.  So it sounds like you go tip to base and then base to tip.  What do you mean by opposite edge?  The same surface flakes just came off of but the other edge, so your removing flakes from both edges of one side of the point? 
Are you making it to the Nudge shoot?  I'll be there.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 06:59:16 am »
Those are looking good! I use a 16 penny nail tip flattened and filed thin for my finer edge work. Horse shoe nails are too bendy for my style.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:25:08 am »
Small copper hand flaker for edge work here. Nail hammered flat for notching. Those look like their ready for some notches to me.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:53 am »
Rob overshot flakes go from edge to edge or side to side , excellent for thinning but no good for finsh sharping. I'll see ya Sunday at the Nuge shoot. Bob

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 04:05:47 pm »
Thanks guys!  I'll experiment with some different tools for tip work and sharpening.  I'm happy with my progress so far.  I feel like I have learnt a lot.  Of course I'm just starting to appreciate how incredible much there is still to learn.  It's pretty exciting!  Hopefully by Oct I have some points I consider hunt worthy!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 06:55:39 pm »
Lookin Good Buddy...I still have trouble with tip thinning..lol
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 08:27:05 pm »
I have 2 "regular" flakers, yet to make an ishi, and one has a very fine point and all I do is lay the point flat and pop off tiny flakes in a pattern that will make tiny serrations. Only remove flakes on one side of the head, no flipping it. Gets em so sharp I'm trying to get a good head made to sharpen and test against one of Gill's. No a reading before sharpening flaking either. Read this method in a couple older books that were probably just rewriting what the first guy said but it works well enough to cut leather cleanly in 1 swipe like Gills video.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 12:19:34 pm »
@Bill thanks bud.  If you're still having trouble with them I'm really in trouble.   :o ;)
@Tracker: I'm guessing you correctly recognized the bottom left point as one of Gills?  :)  I'd love to see more about the sharpening technique you're describing.  Do you have any references, links, or pics?  thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 05:09:32 pm »
Here of some pics of one I just finished up.  Lots of room for improvement but my best by far.  I used an ice pick that I have for sharpening and it feels pretty sharp.  Now on to the next one...
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 06:49:22 pm »
Shaped nice but thinning is the holy grail we generally thrive for. If I wasn't so far out of PA I'd come sit with ya for a spell :). Get with as many as you can and persevere, you'll get there. That point will kill critters by the way ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 07:18:58 pm »
Rob , are you trying to get all the serrations  on your points. Just my opinion on serations, I think  they may work okay on non haired soft tissue but  I believe serrations just grab hair and plug thinks up on game with dense fur or hair, Just my .02. Rob throw your tools in the car when you come to the Nuge and I will break a few with you. Bob