Author Topic: The thinest possible growth ring for osage  (Read 7144 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: The thinest possible growth ring for osage
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 10:18:18 pm »
I'm not sure how that bow will turn out.  I hope to have it roughed out in time for the Classic.  I don't want to back it.  I'm kind of curious to see what happens with it.  I know the ratio doesn't look good but the stave is very dense and heavy.  The slow growing trees like that on my property are tough as nails.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 10:19:22 pm »
Cherish those top rings.  After a few rings down, that stave is purely earlywood/vessels.  Would make a good straw.  Only thing you can do is go for it and see how it does!  A less than perfect bow is better than no bow.

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 10:21:57 pm »
Personally id just not chase a ring and use the sap under the bark.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 10:29:48 pm »
It has some checks.  I will have to go down a few rings.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 10:58:46 pm »
This is a bow I built a few years ago(Shere Khan) that had very thin rings. I rawhide backed it because it also had a few pin knots. She had over 1000 shots through her when she blew...but it was my fault...well, me and Evan Williams. I over drew the bow late one night when Evan bet me I couldn't.  ;D
 It turned out that a pin lifted a splinter when I over drew her. If it wasn't for my stupidity she'd still be shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 11:30:13 pm »
So if we have a lifted splinter on a pin knot is that a death blow Pat? Or is its just a death blow if its overdrawn? Also, I have one I'm wanting to rawhide back that has a start of a splinter on a pin knot and I'm now wondering if its gonna do any good to back it. Will linen work as well as rawhide?

Jimmy go for it dude. YOU CAN DO IT?
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 11:32:29 pm »
Jimmy, anything can happen but leaving thin ringed staves wider distributes stress over a wider area.
No way I would make a bow with a violated ring. If I cut through I go to the next one until I get it right.
I've never not been able to chase a ring on osage.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 11:38:51 pm »
Sleek is right, at least about the bow I got from him. The Rings are like the stave you posted. It shoots really good too, we shot it through a chronograph and it hit 173fps. Look me up at the classic. I'll have it with me and you can see it then if you want.

Sidewinder, just super glue the splinter and put some rawhide on with some hide glue. That is what I done with a Osage bow a while back. I have some rawhide I could offer to help you and the outlaw if you guys need it. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 03:15:32 am »
I've made a couple out of stave with rings just like those in the picture. No reason why you can't chase a ring on thin ringed stuff. Think about it...just because you've got a thick ring doesn't mean you can hack into it and expect it to be ok. So a thin ring is just like the start of a thicker ring....
Stop when you get to the earlywood above it and just go super slow exposing the intended back ring. Use sandpaper and just make 100% sure you don't 'dig in'. No problems!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 06:16:30 am »
I concur. Stay in one ring and make the bow. I've made them with osage just like the one in the picture. One that comes to mind was 36 rpi, VERY snakey, humpy, with a partially concave back as well. It took a little set, 1 1/2" I suppose, but it was early in my bowmaking and it's been hunted with a lot.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 06:27:20 am »
Chasing an osage ring at 30 rpi is easy compared to doing it on a thin ringed yew stave, and folks do it all the time. Just takes a little practice... and patience. I thinned the sapwood on a yew stave a week ago and scraped out a single ring. They were 55 + rpi. It's going to be 70-75 lbs and I'm not backing it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline jimmy

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 09:51:13 am »
Well, I'm almost done chasing the ring.  It has lot's of pin knots and the ring is a little thicker at one end than the other.  I'm going for it, if it breaks it breaks.  I will post pics asap.  I have enough osage for fire wood.  This piece of wood will reach it's highest potential, a bow. 

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 01:02:16 pm »
Well, I'm almost done chasing the ring.  It has lot's of pin knots and the ring is a little thicker at one end than the other.  I'm going for it, if it breaks it breaks.  I will post pics asap.  I have enough osage for fire wood.  This piece of wood will reach it's highest potential, a bow.
there is a very wise man here says "if you ain't breakin you ain't makin"...

i break a lot of stuff... 8)
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 01:08:57 pm »
Here is the pic of the bow I meant to post last night...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 05:32:25 pm »
I'm with ya Jimmy....go for it!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking