Author Topic: The thinest possible growth ring for osage  (Read 7143 times)

Offline jimmy

The thinest possible growth ring for osage
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:22:14 pm »
I am sure this has come up before, and i tried to research it, but I'll ask anyway.  What would be the thinest growth ring you guys would feel comfortable using for the back of an osage bow, ler's say 60" ntn, 50-55# @ 27"?  I have done 1/16", but have some staves that are slightly thinner.  Any experienced knowledge on this is appreciated.

Offline Eric Garza

Re: The thinest possible growth ring for osage
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 03:29:44 pm »
I worry less about how thick the ring is overall and more about the ratio between early to late wood. There's also limits in terms of patience when chasing a ring... That varies from person to person.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »
Eric and Jimmy, around here osage doesn't grow on trees so I adapt. For thinner rings and for a not-so good- early to latewood ratio I leave the stave wider. Jawge
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:27:35 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:56:50 pm »
As Jawge said!
I use every stave of osage.

It's osage! the best possible bowwood
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 04:28:51 pm »
If you are concerned about violating thin growth rings just back the bow with rawhide, silk or linen. I also use whatever osage I can get my hands on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 04:31:45 pm »
Hehe this is a thread for me! I have some paper thin stuff you use a card scraper to chase. Of course, that thin you dont have to worry about chasing a ring, just get it close. Good candidates for decorative backings. No t for strength just to hide the islands of ring violations.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 05:18:02 pm »
Hehe this is a thread for me! I have some paper thin stuff you use a card scraper to chase. Of course, that thin you dont have to worry about chasing a ring, just get it close. Good candidates for decorative backings. No t for strength just to hide the islands of ring violations.
ring violations are OK on super thin rings ?
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 05:54:39 pm »
In my experience yes. The reson for that is so little ring is carrying the stress the next one down cane take some load also. Also you want any violations blended smooth with no abrupt changes. I will find a stave for an example and make a bow to show you.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 06:18:36 pm »
I'm going to try to make an unbacked bow from this stave.  I have a ring chased halfway down the length so far

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 07:56:26 pm »
Clint it you get a good ring on the back of that stave I'd worry about the compression values of the belly. I'd still make a bow from it.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jimmy

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 08:06:11 pm »
I only make unbacked bows, so the whole thing revolves around the bow being structurally sound with a thin growth ring (not violated).  I have the patience to chase a pretty thin ring, I just don't want to waste my time doing so if it is going to explode.  On the other hand, I don't want to waste osage, especially this particular stuff.  It is that nice dark reddish osage.  Can a bow explode from too thin a ring on the back, even when not violated?  As for some of you not having osage, I feel for you guys.  Lot's of other wood out there, but osage has to be the king, at least for me.  Thanks for the input so far.

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 08:37:23 pm »
Jimmy did you see the stave Mikey was chasing a ring on at OJAM? Something like that stave I would get as close as possible and back it. I wouldn't bother trying a stave like that unbacked.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 08:41:31 pm »
  Oulaw, that looks exactly Like what i was getting from IL it made great bows.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 08:52:10 pm »
To play devils advocate, if OO's stave makes great bows....why does everyone harp on ring ratio?  It looks to me that this stave has a terrible ratio.
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 09:54:46 pm »
Id use it and lebhuntfish has a bow I made from a very similar stave. Im sure he will chime in soon on its performance.