Author Topic: Root Beer question  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Parnell

Root Beer question
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:19:52 pm »
395 for how long?  Best to spall first then cook...I got about an 8 lb. nodule.
1’—>1’

Offline Sasquatch

Re: Root Beer question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:34:21 pm »
Spall first is a must!  Then depending on quality i would say 375/4hrs as a first trial. Dry them at200/24hrs then go up gradually 50degrees /hr. till temp is reached.  let them cool 12-24 hrs Make sure you put them in the middle of roaster.  No corners.  I have blown up many of rt beer latley.    Most Rt. Beer will knapp raw. 

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:38:13 pm »
Sorry forgot to mention.  If it is grainy 395 is a good temp.  Just be safe  i wouldnt want 8lbs of crumbs.   You can always re heat at higher temp if you dont like the results.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:21:23 pm »
You'd think id have endless supplies of root beer around here. Send that piece to me an ill spall it and let ya know ;). Sasquatch is right though. It's one of the darker ones so go fairly thin and be careful.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 08:27:51 am »
Got it, thanks guys.  I picked it up from Curtis Smith at Silver River.  Haven't worked it yet, been loving the Georgetown and having such good rock has really helped me to improve with my grainier coral I have from nearby.  I'll probably spall the rootbeer this weekend.  I'll post pictures.  Been getting some real good points this week.
1’—>1’

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 11:20:11 am »
Been getting some real good points this week.
good,  now send me your purdest one! haha >:D  no, but really, im looking forward to getting my trade points.   ;)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 12:18:08 pm »
I hear ya, just too bad I drew Mullet and Bonepile. >:D ;D
They are my closest neighbors here in FL, Murphy's law that the draw went down like that.
I'm kidding, they both make exceptional points.  I wish mine were as good, but, I'm getting closer all the time.
1’—>1’