Author Topic: bow terms?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline bushboy

bow terms?
« on: April 06, 2015, 12:03:20 pm »
Hey all,when people say it has 2" of reflex do they mean 2" infront of the back or handle?also when measuring draw weight. Say 50#@26" are they measuring from the back or handle?always been a little confused by this,thx's Rob!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline alwayslookin

Re: bow terms?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 12:29:19 pm »
Even with the back would be zero deflex  zero reflex. So 2 inches above the back would be 2 inches reflex.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 01:19:45 pm »
Generally,  draw lengths are measured from the back of the bow to the throat of the arrow nock, so your draw would change a bit with a thicker/thinner handled bow.  Brace height is measured from the handle usually

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 01:47:29 pm »
Thx's for the replies.i guess I was thinking more about a R/D profile for the reflex question and it's interesting the draw of a deep handle and bendy could vary close to an inch.i have always measured draw weight from the handle.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 02:34:28 pm »
If it's measured from the back of the bow, shouldn't it be the same measurement for thicker / thinner handles? If you have a 2" deep handle and draw 28", if you knock your handle down to 1" thick, the back of your handle is in the same place and your still drawing 28"?
Not sure I understand how draw length changes from thick to thinner handle bows? Now I'm confused!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:39:50 pm by wizardgoat »

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 02:52:00 pm »
Me too. .
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 03:09:16 pm »
with a 2" handle compared to a 1" handle, there is an extra inch of handle in the space from the back of the bow to your anchor point. The persons draw length doesnt change, but the back of the bow is now further away (with a thicker handle).  I heard the reason for the back of the bow measurement is so you never end up with arrows that you draw past the back of your bow, as that can be dangerous. 

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 03:24:50 pm »
http://www.esdf.org/discover-archery/equipment/measuring-your-draw-length/

You can see in the first picture, he's marking the arrow at the back of the bow.
In the three rivers video, he says "the end" of the bow, which is somewhat confusing.
3Rivers Archery:  Determining Draw Length: https://youtu.be/RdV8suofTsM

I agree that a persons "true" draw length would be best measured like brace height: deepest part of the grip to the throat of the arrows nock at full draw.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 03:32:15 pm »
Thank you bubbles,that wass my exact logic.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 03:37:33 pm »
Ya that's the same way I measure, crotch of arrow to the back of the bow. You said it changes slightly from thicker to thinner handle bows and I just wasn't sure what you meant by that

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 03:39:14 pm »
My tiller tree was made for 1.5" deep handles, I use little blocks to raise bows with thinner handles to make sure I'm still accurate with weight readings

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 03:56:32 pm »
I normally don't care about the weight,if it feels right I shoot it,but i'm working on my trade bow and I want an accurate reading.i don't have a tillering tree,only a luggage scale.