Author Topic: Opinion - Animal pain  (Read 14584 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Opinion - Animal pain
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2015, 11:17:14 pm »
Mullet, why do I believe you?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 08:25:25 am »
  I'm with H.Rhodes...Thanks Howard, couldn't have been said any better...
                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 04:47:37 pm »
Mullet, why do I believe you?
::)

I've got to be honest, I've been reading the post about being spiritual and praising the dead animal and the sorrow for pain. Well, when I shoot something I want it to fall quick, mostly so I don't have to blood trail it far or untill midnite, and then spend the rest of the night dragging and cleaning it just to get up with no sleep and do it again.

When I wound an animal I'm pissed at myself for making a bad shot, prolonging the animal's agony and mine, also.I hunt because I like to and like to eat the bounty from the harvest, the same as when I fish. And I don't think I've ever shed a tear over a fish being in pain, either.

If I say a little prayer it's usually a Thank you for not losing the animal or for not having to drag it for a half a mile.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2015, 05:01:35 pm »
Very logical response.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 05:48:42 pm »
Dead on Mullet, especially the last sentence.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 05:52:17 pm »
Wheeew! Thought I'd check this real quick and see the beating I was going to get. :o
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 05:58:14 pm »
Eddie, I can see your years of experience in your responces.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 06:08:00 pm »
Wheeew! Thought I'd check this real quick and see the beating I was going to get. :o

Its all the same Eddie, nothing anybody can get upset over. Some us are stone cold killers and some of us aren't. But we are all hunters, that's all that matters to me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 06:38:13 pm »
Ha, Eddie you are around the most accepting group of people you could ever meet. Rare is the crazy guy we wont accept among us. You'd have be of the exceptionally squirrely type to be shunned. Lol...

Offline half eye

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 08:57:47 pm »
I have seen a lot of killing and dieing in my time, animal and human. I'm with Howard on this one as well. But like was said it's personal to each man to live with himself.
rich

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 10:31:51 pm »
Do animals feel pain? Yes, even fish I'm afraid. It's just harder to relate to a fish. That's what it means to have a nervous system. That one is hard to argue from a biological stand point.

Do I feel remorse for causing prolonged unnecessary pain to another living creature? Yes, and I think most good ethical hunters do. This is one of the curses that come with a "higher intelligence", empathy.

Do I feel remorse when taking an animals life? No. Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life.
We are the animals the animals are us. They are alive same as us and we share that energy. This feeling of connectivity comes with spending time in the woods. I know guys that only enter the forest during hunting season. If they see a deer, it's always a target and their only concern is killing it. I spend every free moment I have in the woods. Most of the time I see animals in the forest, I am not there to harm them and have no intentions in doing so. I see the forest itself is an animal. I am just one of the many animals within it, and we are all parts of it.  I see these animals live before I help them to die, so that I in turn may live. Seeing the bigger picture makes it easier to live, to kill, to know death awaits, and to eventually die. It is the way it is meant to be.
We tell crying children "that's just part of nature" when the lion kills the baby zebra. Yet we seldom say the same about hunters, using instead fear of over population, disease and famine to justify the killing. I always wondered why. I suppose all the blaze orange gore tex, heated enclosed tree stands, and wal-mart artillery/ ammo, makes for a very strange looking lion indeed. If we as a society we more a part of nature, would hunters be viewed in a different light?

I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2015, 05:06:36 am »
Yep Pearl and I get to spend a few days with that stone cold killer each year, he is that for sure. ;) :) :) One of the hardest hunters I have known. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2015, 09:16:41 am »
This thread has been great.  Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and keeping it on the up and up.

Dakota Kid, I like some of the points you bring up, thanks for contributing and welcome to PA.

"Stone Cold" Eddie Parker...I like it.  That may be a new nickname... ;D ;D ;D ;)

Initially, I started this thread because I made a foolish shot and "winged" a critter with poor arrow choice and realized I'd made a stupid mistake.  Well, that critter is running around no worse for the wear and I suppose I've learned a lesson.  Animals are pretty damn tough, and if you want to kill something make sure your point is as good as you can send down range.

I felt remorse and that's ok...I suppose it let's me know that may brain is working properly...still.  I realize that I'd have felt less remorse if I'd flat killed the animal.  As said, no shame in killing, it's just part of nature and I didn't come up with the rules.  I think the real shame is for people in our culture to go about their daily life of eating animals without ever having known the feelings associated with depriving an animal of it's life.

This has been productive for me, so again, thanks to you all for contributing.

Be well, folks. :)

Stephen Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2015, 02:08:17 pm »
Hmmm, now I sound like a Serial Killer.  8)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2015, 02:14:03 pm »
Maybe a cereal killer Eddie, but not a serial killer!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.