Author Topic: Anyone ever dig ginseng?  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Anyone ever dig ginseng?
« on: April 01, 2015, 11:56:13 am »
This September I plan on doing some digging here in NY. Anyone ever try it? Have any success? Any advice?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anyone ever dig ginseng?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 12:18:22 pm »
I have "sang" growing on my property but haven't dug any. I keep it as part of my native plant collection.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 12:41:59 pm »
It's 1000 dollars a lb up here. If I can make some money off nature i plan on it. Respectfully of corse. Making sure not t hurt the population of the plant in the area.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 01:24:11 pm »
That's dry weight and it takes lots of dried roots to make a pound.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline StevenT

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 03:04:41 pm »
Been watching the series on TV. Those boys play rough. I'd say be careful.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 03:51:39 pm »
I dont understand what's the deal here? Why so much hubbub bub? Just grow it. Why is it so valuable and why in such high demand and again, why not farm it?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:34:43 pm »
The farmed ginseng grows different. The Asians hold it in high regards and pay top dollar for wild ginseng. Older the better. It takes years for it to germinate. And grows in specific type regions and soil conditions.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:28:29 pm »
Blair, I have dug a little mostly for my own use. Not sure where you are getting the $1000? lb fiqure, hope it's not off that stupid BS TV show, like Pat said it takes a whole lot of sang to make a dried #. Sang has been dug since Columbus came here, It's been dug to death, so if ya need some exercise go for it, if your planning on makin alot of money Ain't gonna happen. If you do find some in Sept. make sure and replant the berries where ya dig your roots. Good Luck Oh just my .02 worth. Bob

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 04:22:35 am »
'Sang is going for between 450 - 550 dollars a pound (dried root) right now. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 05:40:34 am »
I have a friend that digs it on my place, quite a lot he says. I know it takes a LOT of root to make a lb. once it's dry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:58 am »
Last year in NY it was 1000 a lb. my friends father pays his taxes every year with it. I already have a couple spots where it is. Gonna go hiking some more and find a few more for September. I'm not trying to get rich. Just fund a few things for next year. One being the classic.

Offline wildman

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 05:45:15 pm »
Those shows make it look easy. I grow a decent bit of it on my place , and woods grown is very hard to tell from wild. I saw some on your place last year at the Classic , Pappy.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 06:06:58 pm »
Four or five years ago I read that the ginsing market was so regulated that a person could not market it.

WA

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 06:14:38 pm »
An old lady at work gave me two maps of where she used to go. Gonna try it. In NY the DEC website has buyers listed where u can sell it.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 10:15:05 pm »
If you believe that TV show,I wouldn't dare go in the woods up there. Matter of fact,I wouldn't even go to that part of the country. Looks a little to dangerous to me.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does