Author Topic: Reflexing hickory  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Billbob

Reflexing hickory
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:34:53 pm »
I have a hickory stave that I want to add about 3" of reflex.  I haven't had much luck heat bending and I don't have an easy way of steaming the whole limb. Whatever reflex I get seems to pull out.  The stave has been in my barn for about 2 years and should be as dry as it is going to get without putting it in a dryer(I use a stove pipe).  Was thinking of leaving the limb 2" wide for the full length of the limbs and taking it down to a little over 1/2" in thickness.  The stave is 62" long at the moment.  Was thinking of letting it soak in a long plastic tub for a couple days in water and then laying it across two poles at the tips and hanging a 50# weight from the center and let it dry this way.  Would I be able to get reflex this way and do you think some of it will stay?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Reflexing hickory
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:45:08 pm »
Do you have a heat gun?  If so you can wrap a wet towel around the limb, cover that with aluminum foil and use the heat gus to heat it to steam.   Hickory doesn't work well with just dry heat. You may be able to clamp it to a reflex form and with the heat gun temper the belly to a chocolate brown color and let it sit for a day in the form before stressing it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:54:20 pm »
i think that might work, if you heat it in that reflex position

Offline Billbob

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 03:38:30 pm »
I have a heat gun.  Never thought of wrapping it with a wet towel.  Might give it a try.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:33:12 pm »
Depends on the hickory but I've had some excellent to fair experiences with dry heat and heat treating to induce reflex. I think for me the best thing has been tillering the bow some, making sure its nice and even, and then adding in the reflex and giving it a solid toasting. If I'm not patient with my heat treating I can definitely tell the difference from when its more superficial or more deep.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:15:47 pm »
I concur with Ryoon. Get it to close to working thickness, make a dry heat correction, hold it there, and temper.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 07:42:04 pm »
Yep,  add a few inches or reflex while heat treating is probably the best way. All you need is a heat gun and a way to clamp the bow in the desired amount of reflex. Then slowly toast the limb.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 08:13:55 pm »
I think there are lots of variations in hickory wood, depending on type of hickory, and the habitat where it grows.  I have had very little luck with dry heat on hickory.  To get any bending/recurving results at all,  I have had to steam it heavily.  I do think that tempering the belly with a slow, deep heat treatment sure adds to its performance.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:55:20 pm »
I've never had problems reflexing hickory with dry heat....most folks have problems because they're gun shy. Operator error,n not because its "hickory" or just a stubborn piece of wood.  Get it hot enough and deep enough and itll stick. And were talking inducing reflex in the working limbs here folks...not recurving. For recurving steam or boil.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 05:10:44 am »
I do all my reflexing of hickory with dry heat, I do like Ryan said, at least close to even floor tillered if not more and then go for it, always works good for me. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 10:47:22 am »
I agree on tillering out to about 20 inches on a 28 inch bow then use dry heat. depending on where you live in US..if in south east you HAVE to bring inside to get below 15% for at least 3 months  ( roughed out bow) .hickory is very hygroscopic and will absorb humidity with a vengeance. In the west your usually good to go...out there hickory can compete with osage IMO... did I say I love hickory cause its my favorite white wood .... gut

Offline Billbob

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 02:51:37 pm »
Thanks for all the help.  Appreciate it.