Author Topic: Checking woes  (Read 5060 times)

Offline dobson

Checking woes
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:30 pm »
Hey guys,

So last summer purchased some ash staves off a guy who runs a bowmaking course here in the UK, they were green, debarked and sealed at the ends so would need time to season so I left them in a room above my garage to dry. Recently I went to have a look and I'm worried by what I see.

Pictures are not the clearest, but you can see what looks like checking on the back of the stave and the end.

Am I right and if so is my timber a write off already?

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Checking woes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:36:23 pm »
Chase the first ring off and see what the next one is
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:42:05 pm »
Always sea the backs. Not just the ends. U only want to give moisture one way to leave
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 01:00:25 pm »
Whereabouts in the UK are you?
If you are anywhere near Harlow Essex I have some Ash staves you can have and I'll have a shufti at yours.
A little bit of longitudinal checking isn't too much of a problem generally.
In the UK we have relatively high humidity, I never seal backs, but then I don't remove the bark! Maybe it's 'cos I'm lazy, but it works for me.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dobson

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:17:13 pm »
Cheers for all of the replies,

Del that's awfully kind of you, unfortunately I'm in Yorkshire so I doubt I would be anywhere near Essex anytime soon.

Unfortunately the staves came debarked when I bought them, so I had little influence on that, thankfully they were relatively inexpensive. Never come across sealing the back of a bow before I always heard about sealing the ends, something to remember.

Would I be able to use the stave as it is for the back of the bow, or do I need to chase a ring? If so Should I reduce the bow closer to the working dimensions or do I need to do the whole stave?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »
I had some checking and bugging woes yesterday as I started into some osage logs I got a couple weeks ago. The guy had them piled up for firewood, some for 3 years. I got them for $20, but it's too much work cutting and digging through junk looking for a chance of a bow. The bugs didnt go beyond he sapwood, but the checking is as bad as what you have there. I might get a bow or two out of them. Not worth it. I prefer to cut my own and take care of it right, and right away.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:27:35 pm »
Ash rings can be chased off easily. I had a large batch I cut do the same thing. I went down two rings and it was spotless.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:07:00 pm »
Those are pretty minor checks. I would do as others suggested and chase a ring or two and I bet they're gone. Ash usually has thick early wood and is knot free making it one of the easiest woods to chase rings on. Get the drawknife out and get after it:)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 05:09:04 pm »
also keep in mind,, the bow will tolerate some checking and still make a bow,,,

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 07:42:54 pm »
Ash is usually one of the better woods that resist checking on an exposed back unless its been exposed to heat or dryness.
The ash may have been cut in summer when the sap was high, which meant quick loss of moisture on the outside compared to the inside hence the checking.
Most of my ash was winter cut and left in quarter splits, from a 10-12" dia log, no checking whatsoever. Not many woods will let you do that.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 08:03:24 pm »
I have super glued checks like that and had now problems with the finished bow.

Offline dobson

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 08:49:22 am »
Again thanks for all of the replies guys, quite encouraging!

Hamish the timber was cut in the Summer, so that would give creedence to your explanation.

Moving forward, I know its a good idea to reduce the stave to rough dimensions to help the stave dry faster, should I try and chase the rings before or after?

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 08:57:12 am »
Definitely before. You don't know how deep you will have to go to get a clean ring.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 09:36:20 am »
Pat is right, I have screwed up several staves by trimming off what looked like excess belly wood only to find a spot on the back I had to go several rings down to get past. I would end up with a kiddie bow blank because of the thinning that I wasn't counting on.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 09:44:07 am »
Made some with checks. They are usually not a problem unless they run off.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!