Author Topic: covering/sealing sinew backs  (Read 4947 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: covering/sealing sinew backs
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 08:41:17 pm »
I was wondering where you had been.  I hadn't heard from you for a while.  the stuff you made--is that for sealing wood, or did you have another purpose for it.  Did you just melt the wax and add the oil?

Offline PatM

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 09:33:12 pm »
I melted the wax in a double boiler, and then added the oil. It will solidify the wax a bit so keep heating it until its all liquid. Then let it cool. It will melt again at body temp.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 11:49:40 pm »
Thanks Pat,  I followed that how to, but somehow didn't get the same results.  Still need practice, I guess.

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 11:52:54 pm »
Thanks Pat,  I followed that how to, but somehow didn't get the same results.  Still need practice, I guess.
What happened?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 12:32:29 am »
A couple of things.  first I used a wrap made from an old t-shirt cut into a long strip instead of a bed sheet.  It seemed to stick a little, and the glue soaked into the knit instead of weeping through like the buildalong shows.  I also didn't have enough inner tube to do that step right.  I think it will be fine, it just isn't as pretty as yours.  It looks more primitive, maybe.  The reflex seems to be holding, so I am optimistic.  I have since acquired an old bed sheet (wife wouldn't let me use hers for some reason) so the next time may be better.

Does sinew allow a bow to bend further than a self bow would?, or does it just reinforce a weak back?