Author Topic: Start to Finish  (Read 8450 times)

Offline Stick Man

Start to Finish
« on: March 17, 2015, 09:40:06 am »
First I wanted to say how much I enjoy lurking around on this site and checking out the works of art that you guys produce on a daily basis.  Just to let you know I am very interested in building my first bow, I have an Osage Stave that I bought back in January sitting in the shop for just that purpose.  Just bought a Drawknife, file set, and some rasps.  Anyway I am a man of little free time unfortunately.  I have a 4 year old and 10 month old and work full time, the wife works later at night and weekends.  Was curious how long the process takes from start to finish for some of you guys.  I know this changes from person to person and from build to build but was just looking at averages.  I'm not really concerned with how long my build would take per say.  I know since this is my first bow that the law of averages don't mean squat to me, especially with me choosing an Osage stave with sinew and flipped tips for my first build (All or nothing right).  Was just curious how many bow hours you guys put in per bows from start to finish.  Lets use a example of Osage stave, flipped tips, sinew, skins.  Thanks for your opinions

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Start to Finish
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:43:33 am »
I'd say around 30 hours for a straight limbed selfbow.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:44:19 am »
5-12 hours is pretty common for me depending on what Im after. There is a lot of hurry up and wait in this hobby.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:37:35 am »
I'm usually 10 - 15 hrs, but will work 4 hrs one day than not be able to get back to it for a couple days or maybe a week later. It always seems when i get rollin something else pops up. I really admire these guys that pop em out on a regular basis.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 10:46:53 am »
        I would break it down into stages if it were my first bow. This way you can watch on line videos and come here for questions and advice.
 Clean up the stave and chase a ring on the back, if you have to chase more than one keep doing it until you get a perfect ring.

Make sure you have a way to secure the bow while you work before you even start or you will be fighting it the entire time.

When I have first timers come over to make a bow they usually come over for about 4  4 hour sessions and then take it home for final sanding and finish. It may take you a bit longer if you don't have anyone right there giving you hands on instructions, take your time.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 11:04:37 am »
I'm in your boat as well. A 4 and 1 1/2 yr old. I work second shift the wife works days. Just get after it when ya can. It's not a race. Take your time and ask lots of questions. Where ya located?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:11:34 am »
Do you have to remove the bark and sapwood, or has it been removed already? Such a bow would take me at least 30 hours including processing sinew and applying it, skins, dye, finish, leather, string, the works.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »
No one has said it so i will, your starting with the king of selfbows, osage, why sinew it? Most people crawl before they walk and you want to go from the womb to the Olympics, not that it can't be done but sinew is an unnecessary step, learn to chase a ring and tiller a bow, there is a ton of information that needs to be learned and a selfbow is a good place to start
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 01:44:40 pm »
300-450 hours depending on what design you choose. ::)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 02:22:48 pm »
5-12 hours is pretty common for me depending on what Im after. There is a lot of hurry up and wait in this hobby.

+1
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 03:44:54 pm »
I use all hand tools, so I typically invest 20-40 hours per bow. I often heat treat bows and reflex or recurve tips, so that adds time. I generally don't back bows with sinew anymore, though I used to a lot. If I back a bow with anything these days, it's usually rawhide.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 05:49:39 pm »
  I agree on the sinew, no reason for it. Simple self bow will shoot just as well.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 05:57:22 pm »
20hrs with hand tools and heat treats and skins. I agree with Bub and Badger no need to sinew on your first one and especially since is osage. But its your baby so you do what you want to. Take it in stages and eat that elephant one bite at a time.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline jesswprater

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 08:59:46 pm »
I'm on my first bow, as well. I have a couple of Osage staves. I started chasing the first ring and then found that I went 2 rings below my ring on one edge near the tip. That really slipped up on me quickly ::). Maybe I can cut around it. If not, I suppose I need to remove a lot more wood now. It is not as apparent as I thought it would be chasing that ring. I have another dark (old) stave that I am working on at the same time. I am taking this second ring chase a lot slower. I will heat treat if needed, but no reflex for me. It is already easy to screw up your first bow. I'm not going to make it harder than I have to. The fancy stuff will come in time.

Best regards,

Jess Prater

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 09:47:49 pm »
I'm in agreement with Jawge, 30 hours each for the first half dozen osage bows you make. Thats about how much time I spent each of my first ten bows, all osage. Of course I only had a couple books and no internet
but wanted to make the best selfbow ever. Even after all that time spent on them they weren't all that good when done but they all survived and I learned a lot.
I also agree to skip the sinew unless that is really what you want. I'm well over a hundred bows made in the past 17 years and haven't sinewed one yet, had the desire to a couple times but never had the need to.
Welcome to the obsession.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.