Author Topic: Primitive elm bow and arrow  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
Primitive elm bow and arrow
« on: March 14, 2015, 07:21:15 am »
I got an order to make a primitive bow and arrow. This is the end result:

Wytch elm, 59# @ 26", quite long, about 170 cm, and about 40 mm wide. I wanted to make bomb proof bow, because the wood had some character. Unfortunately, the bow coped the test shooting but not more.

The arrow is wild rose with bone broadhead, tied with moose sinew and stained with moose blood.

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
Re: Primitive elm bow and arrow
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:24:46 am »
More images...

The last image is how it failed. A very little knot in upper limb, about 15 cm from the handle.

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:29:34 am »
So, I had to make a new bow.

Wytch elm, 60# @ 28".

I think, this was a good bow. The new owner shoot with this bow a 3D competition here in Finland and the result was just awesome!

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:07:03 am »
I like that second one better, especially when you'r making it for someone else. The less character the better.  Looks nice!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 09:14:50 am »
Good for you, Tuomo. The second bow looks great. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 09:19:56 am »
Nice looking bow and arrow. I'd put super glue in the crack and add a rawhide backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:35:47 am »
Good looking couple of bows.  I second Pats recommendation for the the first one.  I'm working on elm bow myself right now.  Boy it sure is a pleasure to work.

Offline adams89

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 09:40:32 am »
very nice work on those bows, especially on tiller, I would just sinew down the little crack on the first one it should not be a problem, nice work!

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 10:21:19 am »
Thanks!

The order was primitive style character bow, so I made it. The bow broke in very tiny knot, which I didn't suppose to be a problem. But you never know, wooden bows are sometimes peculiar.

I don't like to fix broken bows, especially this one. The back of the bow was very nice, naturally grooved. For a customer I had just to make new bow. But he was happy, because he got a nice wall hanger and good shooter!

By the way, both bows are stained with natural dirt - soil, fungus, grass, etc. Finished with beeswax.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 10:52:05 am »
 Looks good except one thing. Your handle don't line up straight with the limbs. This can make the bow not to shoot where your looking. Were not talking side to side line up were talking back to belly. You can see what I mean.

Looks to me the way the handle leans it willl make the tp limb set inward. Not hitting where your looking. I'd think that might cause a little hand shock also.

Make sure the wood between the limbs is straight (where the handle is). Then shape your handle you'll have a straight handle to the limbs.

Very few selfbow builders do this they use whats aready there. Bows that come from staves that comes from logs. Very very seldom.

NICE HEAD
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 11:46:37 am »
Awesome bows- i love the looks of both! 😁
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 12:33:16 pm »
Crooketarrow - thanks for interesting insight conserning handle. I am not sure, did I get what you meant, but I think so. I think, this should be in own topic...

But, in the last image top limb is in right. Handle is shaped so, that it is not straight but leaning a bit toward top limb. So, I think that you thought that top limb was in left?

In fact, I have one bow where the handle is leaning wrongly (I had to turn the bow upside down and didn't bother to modify handle). First, it was difficult to shoot but after I used to it, it was just as easy to shoot as before. I think that handle (or tiller) itself have nothing to do with accuracy. If the pressure point in the handle is good (hand is not slipping, etc), it is possible to shoot very well. As an example, you can shoot straight handled bow with high wrist. Of course is it not so stable in the long run but absolutely possible - and I like to shoot so!

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 01:33:06 pm »
Hi Toumo I am working on a gnarly Elm bow myself and it has a massive knot (about 3 quarters of the limbs width) 10" from the tip. I'd like to drill it out like you've done on your top one. Got any thoughts on this matter? :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 02:26:37 pm »
Both knots are drilled out. Both were dead, so it was easy task. I don't have enough experience, so I don't know if it is good or not to drill dead knots out. At least it is esthetically nice!

I think here is quite much experience of "hole in limb" designs. I have seen here some very nice osage hole bows!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 03:00:08 pm »
Did you heat treat the belly any? I have not built and elm bow yet but Marc St Louis does and He says it makes a world of difference with Elm. Good job though and welcome and thanks for sharing your work. We look forward to seeing more.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God