Author Topic: Wood Types And preformance  (Read 13889 times)

Offline arachnid

Wood Types And preformance
« on: March 13, 2015, 12:07:45 pm »
So I`ve been wondering about this for quite some time- Does the wood type used effect preofmance?

I`ll explain:
If we take 2 bows made by the same bowyer and have the same design (of course, the dimentions suit each wood type) each made from a different kind
of wood, will there be a difference in preformence?
The point is- Is it REALLY worth the extra time and effort to make, say, a BBI then just a simple, say, white oak or hickory board/stave bow?
 I don`t consider in this question any other espect besides preformence (like looks, ease of construction, cost etc...)

Dor

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Wood Types And preformance
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:13:16 pm »
There are many factors that affect performance and wood can sometimes be one of them even within the same species. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:25:39 pm »
Go make a willow bow, then a Osage, and let us know. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 12:29:58 pm »
I don't think you can compare selfbows with backed bows or tri-lam bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:14 pm »
I don't own a chronograph, so its all relative to me. I just build what catches my eye and try to make each bow the best it can be no matter its content.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 12:45:32 pm »
Samo, samo, Pearlie!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 12:49:54 pm »
  I go by what I have the highest success ratio with, bows that take the least amount of set etc. You won't find a huge difference in most bow woods but you will find a differnce. My experience seems to go along with most others. Osage, yew, elm, ipe, hickory and a few others that might not be so readily available all seem to have high success ratios and perform well.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 03:31:57 pm »
yes,, :)

Offline arachnid

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 01:49:00 pm »
I don't think you can compare selfbows with backed bows or tri-lam bows.

1) Why not? Will a backed bow out-preforme a selfbow?

2) Let`s take 2 selfbows for example- hickory and osage. All being equal, which will preforme better, and why?

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 01:53:17 pm »
A backed bow can outperform a selfbow if the profile is manipulated in the glue-up.
 Flight records suggest Hickory and Osage would be equal performers if the Hickory is at optimum moisture content.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 02:48:45 pm »
A backed bow can outperform a selfbow if the profile is manipulated in the glue-up.

Do you mean like adding reflex?
If so, that`s not what I asked, I ment 2 bows with the same profile.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 03:41:03 pm »
The potential is  likely greater in a backed bow because you can use  materials with better balanced properties for the back or belly and likely have better energy storage per mass.
 Most good bow woods however are very good at playing both roles though.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 04:40:47 pm »
  Backed bow with the same profile will usually outperform selfbows by about 8 fps. That is a lot. But not always. Occassionaly you will get a self bow that will keep right up with them but not often has been my experience.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 04:42:25 pm »
The potential is  likely greater in a backed bow because you can use  materials with better balanced properties for the back or belly and likely have better energy storage per mass.
 Most good bow woods however are very good at playing both roles though.

Sooooo,  if you were to build an osage backed osage with an osage core flatbow and built an osage selfbow to match it, which one would perform better? I have always been under the impression that  any time you have a glue line, its stronger than the wood itself therefore you can build a lighter limb.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 04:55:39 pm »
   I used to make a lot of maple backed maples. They would outperform the maple self bows. I think a single glue line or even two glue lines will optimise the bow. According to Perry reflex theory a single glue line is optimum, I see no difference in that and other glue ups using more than one glue line. I think the wood is just in better condition when you start bending the bow.