Author Topic: my new tillering tree  (Read 7239 times)

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
my new tillering tree
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:08:33 pm »
i was surprised with a gift from a co-worker today.   he is a furniture maker and works here at miami international as a millwright/electrician with me.   he is one of the kindest most generous people i know and has a heart of gold...

i didn't ask him for this. he heard i was starting to learn and took it upon himself to do this...

folding legs.
internal gearing to move the lever with a 9/16ths nut at the bottom providing the movement
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Drewster

Re: my new tillering tree
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:22:59 pm »
I don't quite understand how it works, but that's the coolest design I've ever seen for a tillering tree........great work associate to do that for you.  Congrats!  Trust it will help you build many fine bows.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline paco664

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 04:26:30 pm »
I don't quite understand how it works, but that's the coolest design I've ever seen for a tillering tree........great work associate to do that for you.  Congrats!  Trust it will help you build many fine bows.
put the handle in the cradle and put the string on the hook... at the bottom there is a 9/16ths nut and you turn it and it pulls the hook/string down drawing the bow... it goes from about 3" to almost 40" and locks anywhere in between... kinda like the guys with a pulley system but this one has internal gearing...

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:33:37 pm »
So you have to keep turning the nut to pull the bow down and reverse the nut to let it go back up?

Offline paco664

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 04:37:28 pm »
So you have to keep turning the nut to pull the bow down and reverse the nut to let it go back up?
yes... or you can set it where you want it and pull it by hand..

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 04:57:41 pm »
Pretty slick really. Its a tree and stick all in one. And its portable.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 05:02:02 pm »
Clever feller!   8)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Roy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 05:23:36 pm »
I dunno about that.. I exercise a bow 30 times after removing wood while tillering. It would take forever to do 30 reps on your tree.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 05:32:37 pm »
I dunno about that.. I exercise a bow 30 times after removing wood while tillering. It would take forever to do 30 reps on your tree.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  If the nut had a hook on it where you could attach a rope then draw the bow or exercise it, that would be slick.  Rarely do you want to hold the bow in one position while tillering but a few seconds.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline paco664

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 06:12:39 pm »
The nut operates gearing on the inside that moves the hook up and down. ..

Its not overly fast but saves fighting the string on a high poundage bow down to a nail which is how I was doing it before. ..

I'm sure he could have designed a better way. ..

But it was a unexpected gift made by a kind man who went overboard on the fit and engineering. ... so I'll live with any shortcomings. ..

:D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 08:57:50 pm »
That was a nice gesture. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 11:43:26 pm »
I'm with Roy. A pulley can be let down at will, I've made some bows I wouldn't wanna be next to turning a nut while bending. It's looks awesome. U don't want to hold a bow drawn though. A lot of people don't like the sticks
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 12:40:37 am »
Looks awesome.   Ask him if he can add a bottom and some foot stirrups, and a few pulleys.  Then you could have the best of both worlds.  Here's pic of mine.  Works great for excercising, with the 2:1 pulley system, and I can put in anywhere in the room.  The extra pulley also keeps all of the force directly against your feet, so there is no danger of it tipping over.    The only problem, is that it's hard to get a good view of the limbs so close to the tree, so I usually videotape with my cell phone in a tripod behind my head.  I stole the idea for this tree from Dubois.

And a furniture maker would probably be able to make it a lot nicer than my 2x4 abomination.   

Offline paco664

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 01:37:23 am »
I'll make adjustments to it. . I like that pulley set up. ..

But as far as he'll ever know he made me the greatest thing ever. ..

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 05:32:44 am »
Very cool...(I agree with the various criticisms)
It can always be adapted and modified with time.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.