Author Topic: yew wood flat bow halfway done pic heavy (antler tips)  (Read 4487 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
yew wood flat bow halfway done pic heavy (antler tips)
« on: March 08, 2015, 02:14:28 pm »
This is abput ready to start tillering.  Antler tip overlays from a white tail deer little fork horn from last years primitive bow hunt.  Ill try to post the pics from fresh stave till now ... enjoy :)
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

Re: yew wood flat bow halfway done pic heavy (antler tips)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 02:17:47 pm »
Steam bending the reflexes tips.  PAIN IN MY A#% !!!
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 02:19:55 pm »
Bending this sucker for like the third time

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 02:21:16 pm »
Progress ;D

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 02:23:01 pm »
Progress and ANTLERS !!! :P

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
This is as far as she has come.  I am now working on a twisted limb and getting the bow "string centered" meaning heat bending side to side so that tip to tip the string will runn centered . Then i will finish tillering and then probably heat bend the tips one more time but with a heat gun this time ... then bath her in some poly (after the arrow shelf and handle / riser are finished of coarse ) then maybe if needed a leather handlle.  And BAM next years deer hunting bow :) its my first flatbow from yew ... its a stubborn stave .. but a purdy one  ;)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 02:33:35 pm »
I will definitely be working down the antler tip overlays a lot more they are merely glued on with two-part Loctite epoxy at this point,,, I just wanted to throw that out there

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 07:42:01 pm »
That baby looks great man. I'm working on some Yew myself and while I am hopeful it's gonna come out shootin' I would be happy if it was half as good looking as this one!
I'll look forward to the full draw pic when she's all finished up! :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 08:15:52 pm »
I worked down one of the tips just now ... what do ya think ???

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 08:17:34 pm »
Different angle

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 08:22:42 pm »
That baby looks great man. I'm working on some Yew myself and while I am hopeful it's gonna come out shootin' I would be happy if it was half as good looking as this one!
I'll look forward to the full draw pic when she's all finished up! :)

Thanks man ...

And , all you gotta do is GO SLOW ... thats the bast advice i ever got . Let it take 3 months if it wants to ... sometimes a bow is fast. And other times to get it perfect it takes longer . Wood is kinda alive and has a personality ... like how some people are just naturally football players but other people alright they might be really good at computers instead its the same thing with BoWs ... each stave is an individual and completely original I'm sure the boW that you're working on will come out better than the one I'm making right now :-)

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 08:39:17 pm »
Every time I thought of using antler for tips I didn't because I thought it would look crummy. I don't any more :D :D

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 08:48:40 pm »
Those tips are beautiful. ..
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders