Author Topic: Bow Night Part Deux  (Read 10527 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Bow Night Part Deux
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 04:53:26 am »
Bow came out great held it's profile nicely. Looks like she has some speed to her. Steve

Offline TRACY

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 10:16:05 am »
What do you think about the ultimate rasp? Good looking bow! Ever shoot snows with the bow?
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

DCM

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 10:18:47 am »
Outstanding Lennie.  62" is plenty for 60# @ 28", it's bodock son.  It don't start gettin' good till you get down inside of 62".

Kinda sucks, but still fun, to meet a prodigy huh?  Reminds me of Manny.  'At boy got game, unless you been running the rasp and scrapers for him.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 10:23:36 am »
Very wll done.Tiller looks great.Nice bow. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 10:44:58 am »
Wow! That bow is so nicely tillered.  Nice to see. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 10:59:23 am »
Thanks everybody.

Steve, yes I actually hope it loses that last inch of reflex.  Just as soon not have it so loaded up with stress.  The follow we got was very asmoothly distributed so I think it speaks well for the tiller.

Tracy I really like the rasp, it takes wood off very quickly but still leaves a surface that is easy to scrape smooth.

Mims I suppose you're right about hedge.  I didn't run any tools, just griped at him almost constantly.  He does catch on quick and he got pretty good about looking at the bow to see where things wee a little thinner/thicker.  And best of all, he never had the tendency to want to rush this bow, when we identified a place to work he'd unstring it immediately.  Nothing like breaking a bow to make you a little more cautious.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 12:00:26 am »
Somehow I knew the second bow would be a winner, nice work guys.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »
Gotta say it was the opposite for me Dano.  I really worried giving him a shorter blank for the second try, but I had those billets already ring-chased and laid out and I was too lazy to start from scratch.  Jimmy called me up last night, I held my breath waiting for him to say the bow blew but he was just telling me how well it shot with his arrows.  I guess I'll quit being paranoid now.  Although I do want him to sand it good in order to drop what weight we can from the bow without affecting tiller.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 01:49:26 pm »
Once bitten, twice shy they say.  ;D

Nevada

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 03:12:13 pm »
Lennie, thats just great. You guys look like your having a grand ole time. I have to tell ya I'm jealous of Jimmy. He is blessed to have you as his mentor in bowyering. Maybe if I'm a good boy he will give me one too. Keep on making shavings my man. I look forward to seeing wht you guys come up with.

About that bowyers tool. If I remember correctly it sells for around 60.00. In your opinion is it worth the money? I have the utmost esteem for Dean Torges and know he would'nt put out a sub par product, I have thought about getting one but would like some feedback from someone that has used both that one and then some others in comparison. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 04:46:46 pm »
Danny I spent many years not willing to drop the coin for a Nicholson rasp.  I tried a number of cheap rasps, all of which worked OK but not great.  When I finally did procure a Nicholson 49 (on sale for $35) I realized that these tools allow you to do work better, faster and with less effort.  So I'm more willing to try new products now.  The Ultimate Bowyers Rasp (UBR) is better than a Nicholson in my opinion.  Its teeth are sharper, deeper and still smaller so it cuts fast and still leaves a pretty smooth surface.  The dual handle is also a big enhancement, you can put more pressure on it this way.  The rasp has a coarse and a fine side, the coarse really moves wood and the fine cuts quickly and very smoothly.  The teeth are hand-raised, very narrow and they don't seem to clog as much as the Nicholson.  Mine has seen action for several months now and seems as sharp as when I bought it.  Sharpness is measured more in years than months though.

The one thing I wish the UBR had was a half-round side, I tend to use the rounded sidee of the Nicholson a lot.  Although, I think some of that preference comes from having your pressure on fewer teeth, and you don't need that with the UBR.

In conclusion, I'm happy with the UBR.  Is it worth $60+?  Depends on whether its your last $60.  I'm happy with mine.

Another Torges offering I'd recommend, is the small rattail file for nocks.  A definite improvement over a chainsaw file.

And of course theres the Bowyers Edge.  I have a love/hate relationship with mine.  Its handy but I have gravitated away from it, preferring a simple cabinet scraper.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 07:15:50 pm »
Lennie put it very well, to put it simply it's a quality tool, a guy could bet by with a cheaper tool, but once you've slept in silk sheets your ruined ;D

Nevada

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 01:13:55 am »
See how ya are. Yer gettin me all lathered up now and I'm Jonesun for a UBR. I think its gonna happen.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 10:57:38 am »
Bow night last night started with Jimmy showing up at the door with a broken bow.  Turns out it was a piece of the first bow and not the next one, he thought it would be funny.  After I put him in a head lock I felt better.

He shot his bow all last week, well over 100 shots by his estimation.  It didn't take any pronounced set and still haas an inch of reflex.  We weighed it and it looks like 62lb@28", stout bow.

He rounded the tips some for looks, then sanded the belly a bit.  It was close to smooth already, the cabinet scraper leaves a nice finish.  Last we glued on some prairie rattler skins.  This was an odorous task.  I had already put the skins in water for his first bow, then when it blew I thought I'd re-tan them with baby oil.  Seems a baggie of baby oil doesn't stop skins from rotting, even in the frig.  The first inkling of this was when I got out a soda (its the beer/soda frig thank goodness) and the can stunk.  I quickly determined the source of the smell as the skiins, and layed them out on the porch for a few days.  The skins were still smelly but I thik that stopped the rot.  In any case, we gllued them on and I think the smell will go away or at least be covered by the finish.  That or the deer will think Jimmy died and not be afraid.

No pics this week, smellivision would tell an interesting story though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 11:26:02 am »
Jimmy's a funny guy  >:D I have never tried tanned skins, what did you use for glue?

Nevada