Author Topic: Shooting uphill/downhill  (Read 2833 times)

Offline DC

Shooting uphill/downhill
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:11:42 pm »
I have a 15 yd. range set up in my sloped back yard. At the moment I stand on the low end and the target center is about 3' off the ground. That makes the arrow path about level. The problem is that it makes me shoot into the sun.(99% of the winter it's cloudy but the sun is showing itself now) I'm shooting directly south. If I turn it around and shoot north to keep the arrow path level my target would have to be 7' off the ground. If I dropped it to say 5' I would be shooting downhill all the time. How would this affect my shooting when I went to the range which is level? would it be a PITA to get over every time?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Shooting uphill/downhill
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 06:44:30 pm »
If I had the option I would switch it up. Good practice for shooting in the field.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 07:01:30 pm »
I use a trailer liner for a backstop. It weighs a million pounds, give or take, and cost about $120Can. I agree it would be nice to swap ends but it's not really a viable option.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 08:42:41 pm »
How about shooting on the diagonal? That is what I have to do to get 20 yards.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:56:18 pm »
The only place I have to shoot is down the rows between my bonsai benches. I'm stuck with north or south. Right now the target is in a shed just to give me maximum length. It sounds like shooting downhill is not recommended? Maybe I'll just shoot on cloudy days for now. Later in the summer the sun will be high enough not to be a bother.