Author Topic: Eastern Woodland bow pictures library  (Read 52695 times)

Offline PatM

Offline half eye

Re: Eastern Woodland bow pictures library
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2015, 02:13:31 pm »
Thank you sir, those are all 3 bows.
rich

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2015, 02:13:57 pm »
Thank you very much for posting all of this Rich. This is really cool.

You don't by chance have any Osage Indian pictures do you? I believe from what I'm told they are from my neck of the woods. And part of my heritage as well. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline half eye

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2015, 02:17:09 pm »
Let me check sir, I got stuff spread all over and I'll try not screw up this time.
rich

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2015, 02:46:08 pm »
    Ha, ha, ha,,,, Rich, you are being too hard on yourself! The Amercian Museum of Natural History is full of “screw ups”. If you go to the AMNH site and look under comments, there are several corrections with my name beside them. I have a very limited area of “expertise”, but there are certain things I know really well.  I have to admit, I don’t know squat about Eastern stuff.
    Our comments are certainly not meant to be an indictment of your work. Those of us sitting here as arm chair critics are applauding your efforts. Keep em coming.
    Springbuck mentions making a sticky out of this material. I don’t know the first thing about how to do this, but I agree with his idea. Some time back, I posted a lot of Lakota bowcase/ quivers. Who knows how to find them now? I put a lot of examples on there, but they are not easily accessed, nor will newcomers to the site know they were ever posted.
                                    Curtis

Offline barebo

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2015, 04:39:54 pm »
I also want to add "Thanks" for this interesting read and views of these historic pieces. I especially enjoyed the map of NY, as I live directly in the heart of the Oneida Nation.
We have an abundance of forests here in central NY, and I have to wonder what the primary wood of choice was ?? I've heard of a few Osage trees in the area, but they're extremely scarce.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2015, 05:15:13 pm »
Rich asked me to post these for him so here they are...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2015, 05:40:02 pm »
Thank you Pat, Those pictures are all Ojibwa bows, I also found the arrows interesting. I found another thought you fellas might like. It's actual photgraphs of the Sudbury bow, taken by the Peabody Museum.....

The second pic is of a bow that may possibly be Osage. My note on this picture is that while not attributed it believed to be either Sioux, Cheyenne, or Osage....it's the best I could come up with and not sure, maybe one of the western Nations experts can pin it down better.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2015, 07:13:13 pm »
  Rich,
             The Ojibwa arrows above, are those bone points? Looks like I can see the remnants of sinew wraps where the fletchings were.
                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2015, 07:22:14 pm »
Thats what I thought Don, also looks like the arrows dont have the western style flared string knocks either......just one puzzel after another with these pics 8)
rich

PS: Don did those links work that I sent you....is so send 'em back so I can send 'em to pat for posting....ya know I'm computer challenged dont ya?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2015, 07:34:23 pm »
On the way bud...I really enjoyed them ;)
                                     Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2015, 07:44:49 pm »
Very nice Rich. If you don't mind I am going to add one to your collection of photos. This is the only Native American bow I have ever seen in person.
Picture was taken in the archery museum in bass pro shop in springfield, MO. The bow was made by Geronimo while he was in captivity in Florida. It has a sinew string and is in the neighborhood of 4 feet in length and looks to be made of Osage.  Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline half eye

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2015, 07:57:45 pm »
Thats great, it aint my collection though got to believe it's a PA collection now 8) 8) It can only get a whole bunch better from here.
rich

Thank you Don
rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2015, 08:11:31 pm »
When you get through posting all of these, if pat doesn't sticky it I will. Or, we'll put it somewhere easy to find.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline half eye

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2015, 08:18:11 pm »
Thank you sir, I have a few more but not very many. Thanks for being patient with all the bow section hoggin I been doing....I'll try get my butt busy.
rich