Author Topic: Floor Tillering  (Read 17801 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Floor Tillering
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:12:48 am »
I tiller while the bow is strung once i get to low brace, i don't unstring and restring
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:28:23 am »
I tiller while the bow is strung once i get to low brace, i don't unstring and restring
handy info right there... i didn't know that could be done...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 01:31:36 am »
I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but this was my original post

"Does floor tillering accomplish anything other than getting a stave down to a workable size? Is any harm done by putting a stave on the tree a little early?"
Can we try again? :D

Offline jayman448

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 03:51:25 am »
I figure so long as your not reefing on it with the long string it is fine

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 04:28:47 am »
It's all a matter of preference...
The stave doesn't care whether you are flexing it by hand or by string... as long as you don't over bend it.
You can get it ready to put on the tiller by floor tiller, careful measurement, feel, luck or whatever... it doesn't make a jot of difference!
At some point you have to flex the bow a bit to see if it is bending evenly.... do it with a long string or on the floor... it doesn't matter in the slightest.
Personally I do very little floor tillering as I think it's easier to see it looking square on with it on the tiller.
The advantage with floor tillering is it is immediate, you don't have to mess with strings... but that's it.
If anyone disagrees with this please send your objections to Mr J W Halverson :laugh: ::)
Del
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:32:02 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 05:27:43 am »
DC the answer to your question is NO. ;) :) Guess I don't build THEE bow, ??? cause I use a tiller stick to brace the to then tiller tree. :)
  Pappy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:58:16 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 06:35:22 am »
I do little floor tillering, and on some bows I dont do any at all, but rather, go to the tree early with a string the same length as the bow, where I can more precisely judge limb strength relative to one another and the archer's holds on bow and string. A single, short pull on the rope can tell me which limb is stronger, relatively speaking. Floor tillering can't do that. I begin making adjustments then, before it can even be braced.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 08:12:50 am »
DC the answer to your question is NO. ;) :) Guess I don't build THEE bow, ??? cause I use a tiller stick to brace the to then tiller tree. :)
  Pappy

You know what I meant ol' man! ;) If you go yanking on it too soon it causes problems. Sure it will still make a "A" bow, but "THEE" bow has to be bent with care from the start. Low set tillering is key.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 09:16:04 am »
You calling me old  ??? :-\ O ya I am. ;) :) You are right but either method if used properly will work just fine.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 09:30:38 am »
Yes, for me it is the initial stages of getting the limb to bend so it does accomplish something.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline son of massey

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 09:44:23 am »
Is "THEE" an acronym I missed, or a typo "THE"? Or are you all actually saying "you" bow, in which case I don't get it either...

SOM

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 09:46:31 am »
You didn't miss anything, Its just a way to compare any old bow to a really slick bow. No biggy, nothing derogatory, no offense to anybody. Just my way of separating to things that fling arrows. One is better than the other.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 09:54:09 am »
To answer your original question....No it will not hurt to use the tree early on in the process, just don't overstress it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 09:58:20 am »
I knew what pearl meant, and I agree. Del summed it up pretty well also. The key is in not over stressing any part of the working limb from the get go. Some will accomplish that one way and others another, but the end result winds up the same. For a newbie, skipping any one of these steps can lead to a less than ideal outcome. For the guy that has it figured out, it matters little HOW he gets there, only that he has finessed good tiller into the bow from step #1. Skipping certain steps to early is usually just a matter of impatience on the part of new folks (ask me how I know?  Guilty).   
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 10:07:31 am »
Thanks guys. I have trouble seeing the bend when floor tillering. I use a bow length string and don't flex it on the tree more than the draw weight. I just thought there might be some other reason for floor tillering. Happy now :D :D