Author Topic: Am I screwed?  (Read 5476 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Am I screwed?
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:07:04 pm »
I chased a ring, removed a TON of wood, took my time, had this Black Locust stave floor tillered, and started to do some light sanding with 150-grit sandpaper before I went to the next stage of tillering. Then this happened to the back of the bow near the upper limb. (By the way, I sanded off the blood smears from where that splinter pierced the side of my hand.) I was shooting for a 62" bow (60" nock-to-nock). Am I screwed? Should I cut it shorter? I would have to take 4 1/2" off. Would I have to cut BOTH limbs shorter? Or, could I cut just the one limb because there is not much taper to this bow? Would I be able to get this to a 27" draw at a length of 58"? Boy, what a crummy way to start the day.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Roy

Re: Am I screwed?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:14:14 pm »
Not screwed at all. You need to rasp in facets on the limb edges of the back and belly anyway and doing that will take that right out of there. You will be fine.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 12:15:08 pm »
How wide is that area? It doesn't need to be over 5/8", and that's max.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 12:17:08 pm »
Im the "Good" Chris....

Now that thar is funny:)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 12:18:09 pm »
Not screwed at all. You need to rasp in facets on the limb edges of the back and belly anyway and doing that will take that right out of there. You will be fine.

Could you explain "facets on the limb edges"? Sorry, I am not sure what that means.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 12:19:16 pm »
dont believe you have an issue, like Roy said. I would glue it now because it's easier at this point but you will wind up filing most (if not all) of it out.
rich

Offline Roy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 12:22:54 pm »
We don't want to leave the edges of the limbs square. So we use a rasp and rasp off the square limb edges on the front and back of the bow, sort of like at a 45 degree angle, then round them over with sand paper.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:23:38 pm »
Crazyhorse, if you don't get what they're saying, I'll explain. Firstly, the tip may not need to be as wide as it is; in which case, you can narrow the tip on the splintered side, removing the splinter. Secondly, the edges of the back of the bow should be rounded. This "faceting" would likely remove that splinter, even if you kept it at its current width.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:24:24 pm »
How wide is that area? It doesn't need to be over 5/8", and that's max.

1" at the widest pint and tappers to 1/16" at the narrowest point.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:17 pm »
We don't want to leave the edges of the limbs square. So we use a rasp and rasp off the square limb edges on the front and back of the bow, sort of like at a 45 degree angle, then round them over with sand paper.

Got it! Thanks!

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:48 pm »
Crazyhorse, if you don't get what they're saying, I'll explain. Firstly, the tip may not need to be as wide as it is; in which case, you can narrow the tip on the splintered side, removing the splinter. Secondly, the edges of the back of the bow should be rounded. This "faceting" would likely remove that splinter, even if you kept it at its current width.

Understood. Thanks!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »
good advice from above, you still have a bow,,  :)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 12:34:13 pm »
One last thing before I get back to working. Do I HAVE to glue it? Or, can I either simply narrow the limbs or begin to facet the edges?

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 12:35:15 pm »
good advice from above, you still have a bow,,  :)

Thanks! This is only my fourth bow, so I was getting freaked out.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 12:42:33 pm »
It'll be gone once u thin and round edges
Nothing ventured nothing gained