Author Topic: I'm Addicted To Staves!  (Read 10631 times)

Offline jimmy

Re: I'm Addicted To Staves!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 03:14:44 pm »
I can't speak for Danny, but I suppose I will claim you Jon, afterall you are an Arkee, and that's God's country.  See ya at Ojam brother.

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 04:02:06 pm »
Quick question....When you say sapwood, how much do you mean? Right under the bark there is a very thin layer of really light wood, then about a half inch layer of slightly darker wood, the there is the orange center wood.

Do I need to get this half inch layer off before sealing?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 04:06:50 pm »
Take off all the white and stop when you get to yellow wood.  I seal the ends and backs with 2-3 coats of polyurethane.  Hope you got a good draw knife and stout arms.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 04:10:31 pm »
Your probabley not too far from Gun Doc Josh. I believe he's in or near Concordia and that just north of you a ways. Never met him in person but from what I can tell, he's very skilled and a stand up guy.

Yeah, we'll claim you Jon. Even if you are an Arkie.  ;)
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 05:36:50 pm »
Ha I know that feeling. Currently i nearly always have a perfect hacksaw in my car with which i can cut up to 20 cm diam trees in no time, so when i see some nice wood that I'm allowed to cut it's in my trunk in no time.
Staves are piling up way faster than i can make bows, but you just know some day you'll turn it into a decent shooter.

Looking for staves is a bowyer's foreplay :P

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 06:40:08 pm »
Welcome! Nice staves...the stuff from which dreams are made.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 07:05:41 pm »
Yes,staves are the bomb after breaking many lumber style type bows!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:26 pm »
Couple more questions.....
Should i be trying to get 1 exposed ring at this time, or does that come later? Also, should i treat the exposed backs with pesticide after sealing, or is just getting the bark and sapwood off sufficient?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 02:58:49 pm »
If you remove the bark and sapwood all you need to do is seal the back and ends.  You can chase a ring now if you want but you don't have to.  I don't worry about chasing a ring when I'm cleaning up staves.  My goal is to get them debarked and sealed as quickly as I can before the bugs get to them or the sapwood sets up.  Fresh cut sapwood is a lot easier to remove than dried sapwood. 

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 05:16:24 pm »
Thanks for all the advice!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 08:39:19 pm »
When you wake up in the middle of the night with shoulder pain...try reaching out to the sides as far as you can and stretch and retract repeatedly your shoulder joint.  ;D Seriously though, this helps when you are battling osage shoulder pain. Or you couls just start harvesting yew  ;)

I watched both a song sparrow and a scrub jay collecting nesting material this morning. Both selected their twigs for building their nests with the same scrutiny and prudence that we bowyers select or sticks. Made me smile.

Welcome to the addiction!!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 09:28:16 pm »
When you wake up in the middle of the night with shoulder pain...try reaching out to the sides as far as you can and stretch and retract repeatedly your shoulder joint.  ;D Seriously though, this helps when you are battling osage shoulder pain. Or you couls just start harvesting yew  ;)

I watched both a song sparrow and a scrub jay collecting nesting material this morning. Both selected their twigs for building their nests with the same scrutiny and prudence that we bowyers select or sticks. Made me smile.

Welcome to the addiction!!

My shoulders and arms can take a beating, but my hands are a little sore from gripping the knife. Ill get used to it soon enough!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 09:51:51 pm »
From N. Missouri, welcome to the addiction. That's a nice variety and haul you have. Should keep you busy for awhile!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline sleek

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 12:47:45 am »
For cryin out loud folks, QUIT TELLIN FOLKS TO REMOVE THE SAPWOOD! It makes an amazing bow back. I may never chase another heartwood ring on a stave again so long as the sap is good.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 03:04:30 am »
Remove the sapwood  >:D