Author Topic: my latest little hunter 50" hard maple (50# @ 26)  (Read 26494 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: my latest little hunter 50" hard maple (50# @ 26)
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2015, 06:40:30 pm »
Wow!  What a monster!  Josh

Offline half eye

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2015, 06:56:54 pm »
josh, stringman   them 2 snakes never backed away from a meal in their lives and thats a fact.
rich

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2015, 07:20:15 pm »
I am fairly certain if I saw that snake in the woods I'd crap down both pants legs, that's a couple big friggin snakes.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2015, 09:01:28 pm »
Nice Hunting bow, Rich. Those skins are actually baby to average. I had one that was 8 1/2' long and 18" wide. It's getting harder to find the big ones anymore.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline half eye

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2015, 09:20:18 pm »
Ya all can have 'em big or small >:D I'm thinking that were I there I'd have me a razor sharp hoe WITH  a handle extension too 8) Hell man, most everything down there will stick ya, sting ya, or try it's damnedest to eat ya....concealed carry seems like a real good law to me.
rich
PS I was kidding but any venomous snake that size has my respect and utmost caution.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2015, 10:17:10 pm »
I hear ya'. It's getting scary walking in the  woods after dark or sitting down before Dawn during Turkey Season. Hell, we now have a new black and white spotted, three foot long lizard that has established a colony in a Gopher Tortoise burrow not far from the house.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2015, 10:30:43 pm »
What!!! I'm glad it gets chilly here! That is a looker for sure ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2015, 11:35:46 pm »
Thats a good looking bow Rich, the snake skin backing gorgeous and I like the back profile/shape. I most often make my handles slightly narrower than the limbs on my bendy bows but I like the looks of your example better.
Nice work.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2015, 11:39:21 pm »
Nice bow!  My understanding is that leaving the last few inches of each limb a little stiff should increase performance.  What do you say?  Do you notice a difference in how it performs?

I always like seeing your bows.  This is no exception! Very nice!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2015, 08:24:32 am »
 Rich,
            I noticed that the maple made the skin light up through some of the scales, looks better and more alive than the original air dried skin... ;)
                                                                                     Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 09:10:21 am »
Thank you fellas for the feedback,

Don, I was afraid I screwed it up cause I really liked it Dark, but you know more about them than I do so it's real good to know it came out ok.

Arrowwind, It does not "seem" to be markedly better than the full circle bows but I have to admit when I shot it at 1/2" treated plywood (20 yards) it got about 1" more penetration than the other bows usually produce....so I suspect it would have better cast, and looks like it will do better with "heavy" arrows (12-15 g/lb) than I usually shoot.

B2, I got one of your bows ( two-grunts) it dont need to be changed one little bit sir!!!!

I hear you soy, it is real nice to run through a field of tall grass, or a swamp bottom and KNOW you aint gonna run into one of them 8)

Thanks again fellas
rich

Offline okie64

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 09:39:36 am »
Good looking bow Rich! Those skins are beautiful. I usually use full circle on bows that short but I dont see anything wrong with trying something a little different every now and again:)

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:56 pm »
Sweet bow, Rich! And dressed up very pretty. My heart really is with the shorties, no matter what my head says.

That snake must have yielded a curry for at least 20 people... :o

Don't shoot!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 04:37:12 pm »
  Rich,
             I think your on the money with the color and of coarse they all have variations of shade. But look at the pictures and how the whiter/yellowish scales pop out in color on the live snake vs your bow with it's light background causing the same affect...
                                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2015, 04:56:44 pm »
Thank you Okie, much appreciated, me too with the full circle being the "normal"

Thanks Jodocus, The little buggers are for sure addicting 8) When I looked them up the book says they are the largest of all the rattle snakes and are known to get up to 10 pounds plus. Like I told Mr. Parker, they can have 'em and welcome >:D >:D

Don, Thank you for the pic, sure looks close to me....I guess I'll call it a "happy accident" cause I had no idea of what the hell I was doing. Hope to do justice to the whole thing. Thank you so much for sharing them.
rich