Author Topic: Hide glue and finishes  (Read 11612 times)

PK

Hide glue and finishes
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:05:40 am »
I would think that Finishes would peel off Hide glued sinew backing.
I would like to know what finish would be best
1.True oil
2.Spar varnish
3.Poly, water based or oil based
4.Laquer
5.Shellac
?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hide glue and finishes
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:12:42 am »
I've used Tru-Oil, poly spray and Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone)on sinew backed bows. My Medicine bow has all three. ;D   Shellac will stick to it. You could give it a coat of shellac then add whatever finish to it you want.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:13 am »
.................?= pine pitch.......bob

PK

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 05:24:52 am »
I've used Tru-Oil, poly spray and Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone)on sinew backed bows. My Medicine bow has all three. ;D   Shellac will stick to it. You could give it a coat of shellac then add whatever finish to it you want.   Pat
Thanks Pat, I do believe in shellac,was not sure if laquer would stick to shellac.right now i just use shellac.
I just made some hide glue out of left over goat, deer and cow hide, now I need to get the senew.
I asked the meat market if they had some cow tendins or backstrap, not sure if that will do,I don't really see any difference.
Thanks for the info.

PK

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 05:28:07 am »
Thanks Bob, that would definately be primitive. I would have to dilute the pitch with something would'nt me? Thats some sticky stuff.Thanks for the reminder of our Ancestors. :)

Offline akila

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 08:50:34 am »

Hi ..can you plzz explain to me whatt is this 'pine pitch'??...or  how is made??

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 10:37:19 am »
it seems that you underestimate the strength of hide glue (with no intention of sounding like a smart@^%).
I have managed to pull sinew/ hide glue free from failed bows but always pull up slivers and/or chunks of wood as well.

I can't imagine that any finish is stronger than hide glue.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 12:18:15 pm »
There are also some minerals that can be added to the hide glue to make it a insoluble finish.  Never underestimate the wisdom of the ancients.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 03:53:51 pm »
Akila, Pine pitch is the resin from pine trees. Orher conifers have pitch the works also and even some fruit woods do to.
 PK, you can dissolve pitch in alcohol to use as a finish. I use it on primitive arrows to seal the wood and sinew/hide glue wraps. I think that if you cook the pitch a bit first( this evaporates the volatile components) then add the alcohol it won't be sticky. I have even used uncooked pitch. It takes a little longer to cure but it will. Be very careful cooking the pitch. It is VERY flammable!!!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 03:58:17 pm »
Pat, the dissovled pine pitch is a great idea to use for a finish, I'll probably be using it from now on. I was always at a loss as to how to finish my primitive arrows.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 04:41:03 pm »
Sean, It works well as a finish. You can drop some clumps of pitch in a small jar and add the alcohol. After a day or so you will have a dark amber liquid and sediment on the bottom. I strain it through cotton cloth to remove the solids and trash. I use a small paint brush(watercolor) to apply it. The brush will harden up after use but will re-soften when put back in the "varnish" mixture.   You can probably wipe it on with a soft rag also if you don't mind getting the pitch on your hands. ;D    Pat

PK

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 05:01:18 pm »
Now How do i Get pine pitch whitout cuting down a pine tree? I noticed lots of christmas trees in alleys maybe that would work. ;D

PK

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 05:05:17 pm »
There are also some minerals that can be added to the hide glue to make it a insoluble finish.  Never underestimate the wisdom of the ancients.  ;) Justin
Mr Justin, What minerals? Im experimenting with Hide glue this week but, your tips would greately be liked. :)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 06:17:07 pm »
........Pk----------Look fer pine trees that are oozing pitch (from a wound ) usually a amber lookin' sticky substance. Ya can show respect here, there is no need ta cut one down. X-mas trees will work ifn ya get em and all this is free. The hide glue mineral addition and waterproofing is another whole subject and project.....bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 06:49:47 pm »
If you look around the trunk of most Christmas trees and at the stump end where it was cut you will usually find some pitch. 
Pat, If you get a little pitch on your hands you can always lick it off.  ;) What other finish can you say that about.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah