Author Topic: palm tree?  (Read 6196 times)

Offline sailordad

palm tree?
« on: January 22, 2008, 11:53:33 pm »
          hello everyone,
 I don't know why I thought of this,sometimes my mind just wanders I guess,but I got to thinking about exotic bow woods and the differant types people have used.
I was just curious if there is any kind of palm tree that can be used for making a bow? ??? ???
 Now I don't know a whole lot about what woods can be used,being a newbie and all. I have learned that hard  woods are used and am not sure if any type of palm is a considered a hard wood, I would think that at some point through out history that islanders some where on this planet must of used bows of some sort.  Thanks for your input.

PEACE, ;D

Tim

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline david w.

Re: palm tree?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 12:00:20 am »
I think Tim Baker has used Black Palm with sucess, but usually palm isnt considered a bow wood. it is mostly fibers
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:24:12 pm »
Black Palm is used for bows by aboriginal cultures wherever it grows. It's apparantly a pretty dense, tough wood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:49:46 pm »
.........Like Hillbilly said. We call it a good bow wood (have made some) but its really more like a grass (family Poaceae ) than a true wood. Its a monocot. That being said, here come the taxonomy foks ta argue the point cause it has some crossover characteristics. Please my head hurts ! ;D.......bob

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:12:12 pm »
I have seen a few of them, it is a workable bow wood but I have never seen one I was too impressed with, they have all seemed to heavy and taken set. Steve

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:16:30 pm »
I have a bow and arrow set that comes from SA. The bow is short and appears to be made from Palm. The back has violations from one end to the other
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 07:48:13 pm »
Like wood , ya just have to get the right stuff ;) You want Senegal Date Palm, Coconut palm or one of their fruit or nut bearing relatives.. I wrote and article in PA I think its vol 7 issue 2 "In the palm of my hand". I took that bow to mojam and "famous bowyers" took notice :o 8). Then I gave it to young deerhunter type whose Dad was having trouble making a wood bow for him to help feed the family..

It shot an easy 10  over at 10 gr. per # for the five years I owned it..

It's not like folks can go get these trees so it doesn't get the interest like other dark fast woods we can buy in board form....

Rich-

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 01:28:15 am »
     There was an article about someone who made bow from a small type of palm, in one of the PA issues.  ( I forget the name of the palm at the moment ) It looked pretty good.  It is a common landscape type palm.  I think it was a diamond type shape bow.  I think the guy was from California, but not sure.
                                                                    Stickbender

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 01:32:07 am »
 ...................Was guy who posted above ya Stickbender "THE FAMOUS er is it infamous Rich Saffold ! LOL ;D.....bob

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 02:23:18 am »
       Thanks to everyone here at PA,
when I posted this topic I never could have imagined that so many here would actually know that much about palm as a bow material.
personally, I never actually thought it was truly plausible,but WOW  :o  I am amazed at the amount of knowledge here.
Thanks again for sharing,

PEACE,

Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd