Author Topic: One way to make a static tip-now a Grumley  (Read 38387 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: One way to make a static tip
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 11:15:42 am »
PD, my dad was a carpenter. Helped on a few cabinets. Caught my eye immediately.
Keep your bro in law supplied with bows. LOL.
You are both talented.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Springbuck

Re: One way to make a static tip
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 03:01:01 pm »
  This is almost exactly my set up, except I once rescued a weird, tall, skinny pot, and I boil em.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: One way to make a static tip-now a Grumley
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 12:12:16 pm »
Thanks to some extreme peer pressure from my buddies Ginger Snap and Dragster, Ill be attempting a Grumley bow. Nel's lived not far from me, just in a different era. Being a fellow Michigander I owe it to him to build one. Ive never attempted a brush nock. The bracing is my only concern. I don't like wrestling with bows. Here is where Im at.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 12:15:19 pm »
Looks good, you gonna make this a build along PD?

Offline Badger

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 12:15:38 pm »
 What could possibly go wrong???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:04 pm »
Falcon maybe not a build along, but I will post the random rambling and a picture.

Steve the only thing Im hesitant about is the giant string loop on one end and trying to fight it over the tip to brace it. Im going to skinny these up as much as possible and make them as petite as possible, but still functional. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 12:28:46 pm »
Just go with an over the tip stringing technique and keep the loops small. I loved my Grumley replica while it was still alive.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 12:31:05 pm »
Hey, that's a great idea!  I love me some string bridges anyway, and that already has the perfect curve.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 12:33:05 pm »
Cant wait to see the finished product...those were the sexiest bows ever made!... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 12:48:51 pm »
Pat Im not sure I follow you. Are you saying use a stringer and slip it over the end rather than slide it up the limb and over the knock?

Offline PatM

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 01:11:36 pm »
I just used the step through method and slipped the loop over the tip. Going up the limb would be an exercise in frustration.
I've never used a stringer so I can't comment on how that would work on tips like that.

Offline Badger

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 01:34:30 pm »
Falcon maybe not a build along, but I will post the random rambling and a picture.

Steve the only thing Im hesitant about is the giant string loop on one end and trying to fight it over the tip to brace it. Im going to skinny these up as much as possible and make them as petite as possible, but still functional.

I was kidding, everytime I think what could possibly go wrong something does.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 01:44:02 pm »
Ahhhhh. Id  hate to mess up a perfectly good static trying to do this. If it happens it happens!

Offline rps3

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 03:38:15 pm »
I don't think I could have made that cut and had everything line up, or did you get close to the line then rasp it down?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 03:55:54 pm »
Bobert I just traced each static unto an osage plank and numbered them 1 and 2. Then changed my blade out to a 1/4" 10 tpi and cut it. That's off the saw you see in the pic. There are some micro air gaps I can see, and I don't like it. I need to tweak it so its absolutely dark from end to end when I hold it up to my lights. I want them perfect for the Unibond, gap filling epoxy or not!