Author Topic: 44" hard maple bendy, made with flint spalls  (Read 6677 times)

Offline half eye

44" hard maple bendy, made with flint spalls
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:54:45 pm »
Debated about posting this but decided to. This was made with some flint tools I asked Dan Hamblin for. I wanted some specialty spalls for arrow making and to try on a bow. I know most stone tool bows are shaped while green but I didn't have any so used a cured small hard maple stave split. I did not make the stave with stone, or harvest it with stone, just shaped it, tillered it with hand held flint.

There are some pics, dont laugh at the "tool" marks. I could not get the cutters,scrapers and abraders to make smooth cuts they all left deep chatter bruises in the wood. I aint diggin in the snow for some sand stone but dont really know if that would help anyways. The stats are:
44" ntn
Hard Maple stave
44#@23"
Steamed recurves by water on hot coals and the tips bent between a limb and trunk ( the bark left the marks on the back of the bow)
finish: grease and pitch and smoked

There are pics of the back whit what looks like tension cracks but are not (in the bow wood anyway) It was very hard to scrape the bark and cambium perfectly with the flint spalls so there are small strips which of course crack.

*all the wood work was with the flint except the lower limb fineal diamond, it took me 2 days for the top one so I went to the file for the lower (2 days VS. 20 minuets)

If there are any questions or something that ya want a pic of please let me know....enjoy the pics and I will post the neolithic arrows in the arrow section.
rich

Offline half eye

Re: 44" hard maple bendy, made with flint spalls
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:55:44 pm »
more

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 06:56:59 pm »
more

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 06:57:54 pm »
last ones

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:01:48 pm »
Cool project Rich. Are getting a little cabin fever man? I would have to get pretty bored to start whittling out a bow with some flint chips :o

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 07:13:12 pm »
The arrows were the main deal (presentation set for the Nesnabek) then just said what the hell, so I guess your right man,,,,winter's a long time goin bud. :o
rich

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 07:38:50 pm »
Very cool Half Eye! I really like how the finish looks. Well done! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 08:53:41 pm »
  Rich,
          Though I have never used stone tools for bow making I know that takes patience and hard work...Awesome bend on that shorty and the arrows are gorgeous...Would like some close pics on the arrows if you get time...
                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 09:00:50 pm »
Don, will have them up tomorrow in the arrow section, got 3 done and waiting on the sinew to set up good on #3. Gonna put the arrows and tools in the arrow section.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 09:03:15 pm »
Thank you Leb, wasn't high hattin ya bud.....old age has got me single taskin ::)
rich

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 10:27:03 pm »
Just straight awesome Rich! Hats off to you and anybody else doin it real old school. Stone tools is taking it to whole different level. Nice work! You gonna shoot something with it this year?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 10:28:43 pm »
Nice work with stone tools Rich.  That's quite an accomplishment.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Roy

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 10:41:50 pm »
Very nice work, congrats.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 10:57:22 pm »
Fantastic weapons ... and workmanship!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 11:53:28 pm »
I love it, thanks for posting!