Author Topic: Good tiller doesn't always look good  (Read 15921 times)

Offline Roy

Re: Good tiller doesn't always look good
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 12:19:36 pm »
I always tell Pearl Drums his bows suck... :)

Offline adb

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 12:46:52 pm »
Me too...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 12:50:53 pm »
Jealousy is VERY ugly on both of you, you should try another outfit....;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2015, 02:20:51 pm »
Hey Pearly your hair looks nice today !!!!!!

As far as tiller goes  beauty is in the eye of the beholder !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Roy

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2015, 02:25:49 pm »
Yup Pearly is a sweetheart:)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 02:52:52 pm »
Heres somethin that will really blow your skirt up.... A stave, say naturally reflexed 3" on one end and naturally deflexed on the other....you put it on your form and reflex with any heat source to make the limbs even out...now consider that the limb that was deflexed, is now reflexed.... That limb is already under more stress(or atleast structually inferior) to the naturally reflexed limb... The belly wood has been stretched and the back has been compressed. The naturally reflexed limb is still in close to its natural state...this makes my head hurt abit, lol.... I guess if i had a point to make it would be that once we have changed the natural shape of the wood were assuming alot more than actually knowing what a good tiller looks like and like what has been said already, depends alot on "feel".... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

blackhawk

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 02:56:42 pm »
Boy that Roy guy sure likes to make a mess of things around here...this is what happens when Roy makes bows...he makes a mess of things....or I think he done pissed himself thru his pants and onto his work bench after pearly sent him a pic of his guns  :laugh:

I apologize for the further derailment of this thread  :laugh:

Offline Roy

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 03:59:31 pm »
If you would have helped instead of grabbing your camera, there wouldn't have been a mess:)

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 07:42:40 pm »
Whudya do Roy, bake one of yer catfish in yer bow oven?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Roy

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 11:14:08 pm »
Nope, wuz cleaning one of my rasps in vinegar, and the damn coors light kicked the jug over and blackybird was no help:)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2015, 02:03:58 am »
Thanks for all the cogitation about tillering. You guys (haven't lived in KY long enough to be comfortable saying y'all) have brought up lots of puzzles that have tired out my brain a few times--like the one-limb-reflexed while the other is naturally deflexed.

And, wow, some  of youse (I never lived in Joisie, but I'll use youse to try to be funny) even  apologized for drifting off topic and I never even complained. What rank civility!

;)

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 03:08:41 pm »
To the best of your knowledge did the native Indians tiller their bows using tillering sticks?
My guess is one guy braced it and another guy marked where to remove the wood from.
We could do that here but the tillering process would take a long time and it would not really be an individual effort unless someone wanted it to be.

Whenever someone comments on a bow it is I hope done based on the premise that we are all in this together, I hope....
I know some guys do this for a living and maybe are more experienced and more critical but to me the less clinical and standardized the process the better.
I like the real wood bows and only hand tools (no primitive tools yet). But I accept that to each their own, just like personalities

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 07:37:33 pm »
To the best of your knowledge did the native Indians tiller their bows using tillering sticks?
My guess is one guy braced it and another guy marked where to remove the wood from.
We could do that here but the tillering process would take a long time and it would not really be an individual effort unless someone wanted it to be.

Whenever someone comments on a bow it is I hope done based on the premise that we are all in this together, I hope....
I know some guys do this for a living and maybe are more experienced and more critical but to me the less clinical and standardized the process the better.
I like the real wood bows and only hand tools (no primitive tools yet). But I accept that to each their own, just like personalities

When experienced you can tiller a D bow simply by the braced shape
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Zradix

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2015, 05:01:38 pm »
I think there's some good info here...somewhere...

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2015, 06:06:34 pm »
d bows are great like that