Author Topic: Good tiller doesn't always look good  (Read 15922 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Good tiller doesn't always look good
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 08:25:03 pm »
So to try to get back on topic, what dictates a "good" tiller? Is elliptical better than whip tillered? How can we better show what obsticles were part of building a certain bow?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 08:31:07 pm »
Guys please correct me if I'm wrong....in trying to answer your first question .... the "final tiller" of a bow whether it's elliptical, oval, whipped or what is determined by the front profile.....but this should be another post.  Sorry Jim
DBar
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:40:57 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 08:36:07 pm »

I'd guess that I disagree with about 50% of the tillering/timing advice given on the sites I visit.

I think there is alot to consider before disagreeing that highly. For example, I am on this site so bleepin' much that not a lot sneaks by me. There are times when a guy starts a help thread. Fixes said bow and starts another that may not include unbraced pics that time around, happens all the time. Another example, there are many, many friends on this site,and others, that share a ton of info outside the forums. Maybe they have inside info others don't. Not saying there isn't plenty of guessing going on as you suggest, but 50% seems awfully high. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 08:38:37 pm »
 I agree DBar, Most bowyers can tell correct tiller depending on front profile and side profile. And I will continue to compliment them for this...The bowyer will have to be his own final judge after shooting...
                                                                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 08:43:06 pm »
Everybody's eye is different. Some are quite detailed and many things that tell them the story may not be so clear to everybody looking at a pic. I guess in other words, not everybody needs the entire equation to complete the problem. Experience has to count for something.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 11:02:06 pm »
Chris you just put in words exactly what I was thinking. Not sure what to THINK about that :o

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 03:38:52 am »
The initial question (even looking tiller may not be reflect even strain) is a very important one to me.

Suppose you have a stave reduced to bow proportions, with one limb 2" more reflexed than the other. How should one deal with this? You could steam-bend the other limb to match it, or tiller and bend both limbs so they even out on the tillering tree at each incremental draw length. But in the latter case, the more reflexed limb will have travelled a longer distance, and be strained more. 
Pretty often, the more reflexed limb takes a bit of set by the time I'm finished tillering, exactly where the extra reflex was present, and in the end both limbs match. 
How do others do this?   

Joachim

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 06:58:33 am »
Pearly, what Joachim just mentioned is where that '50%' came from... and I thought I was being conservative  :)

I'm not talking about only how we get each limb to bend evenly relative to its own unbraced shape, but also about how/if they are balanced relative to each other and the archer's holds at full draw... all part of 'tillering' a bow, imo. That's where I find I part with many folks.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

blackhawk

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 07:14:31 am »
If ya can't take the heat then stay outta the kitchen!!!  :laugh:

Offline bubby

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 09:10:37 am »
So does bad tiller always look bad >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 09:40:47 am »
  HERE'S THE TICKET TO TILLERING
  GOOOOOOO  SLOWWWWWWW

If you have a kink or knot,curve you tiller through it. You do this that stress your talking about is evened out when you tiller through the problems.

After I get what I think is spot on tiller.You've got to put 75,100 arrows throught it.

I'm sure you've all seen places in your bow after you've shot it a month.  YOU'LY AFTER A DOZZEN ARROWS OR SO I CAN SEE PLACES WHERE COULD'NT SEE ON THE TREE.

But I can see halfeyes point also.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 09:58:56 am »
"ou have a kink or knot,curve you tiller through it. You do this that stress your talking about is evened out when you tiller through the problems."

Kink or knot: no problem, i get how thats supposed to be done. Still, I dont see how you tiller through an excess of reflex in one limb compared to the other. I interpret this that you tiller relative to how much the limb tip travels from its unbraced position, which gives a pretty uneven tillering profile. But I probably misunderstood you.
Joachim

blackhawk

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:12 am »
@joachim....in your example ya tiller it like you should any other bow...your striving for a balanced draw...if its tilting one way or the other on the tree or in your hand then one limb is stronger than the other and its not evenly strained in both limbs. On the tree the string will also not pull straight down on an unbalanced bow.

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 10:47:50 am »
thanks Chris/blackhawk for your input. So basically, you ignore the fact that you have the extra reflex in one limb and just tiller till it looks and feels balanced.
Which is what I've been doing, with the addition (not on purpose) that the extra reflex mostly disappears during tillering. 

Joachim

Offline adb

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 11:13:21 am »
Throughout the tillering process, even from the beginning before it starts, I strive to keep the limbs even. If I have a stave with one reflexed limb and the other deflexed, I will definitely heat correct one (or both) of the limbs before I begin. I'm working on an ash ELB stave at the moment, with one reflexed limb (about 1.5") and the other limb is deflexed with a bump mid-limb. Before I even floor tiller, I'm going to heat correct BOTH limbs, making them more even.
Also, the speed at which you tiller has no effect. As long as your tiller remains even and appropriate, it doesn't matter squat how fast or slow you go. And I've never noticed the tiller changes on any of my bows, after a week, a month, or a year. If a bow is stressed and tillered evenly, it will likely stay that way.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:16:52 am by adb »