Author Topic: Board bows  (Read 9808 times)

Offline Jax666

Board bows
« on: February 13, 2015, 07:00:36 pm »
I got my TTBB Volume !-IV today. Reading about Board Bow in Volume II. I have also read Jawge, Bubby, Sam Harper, and The Ferret about BB's and may try one to practice on. I feel less guilty about turning a 1"X2"X6'  into kindling than a nice piece of Osage. It sounds like it is possible to build a very serviceable bow from a board. I would probably start with a board from Pekin Hard Wood before Menard's.
Back to reading.
Jerry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Board bows
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 07:14:20 pm »
It is possible. Just remember to use straight grained stock. Jawge
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:40:20 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 07:19:49 pm »
It's not only possible, it's probable, i have board bows with thousands of shots thru them and shoot just as good as they did the first time and at draw weights of 50# and up, it's all in board selection and tillering plain and simple, jawges site realy tells in detail board selection
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Renacs

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 07:38:48 pm »
  Boards are great to learn from and can make great bows.  And don't discount bamboo or hickory for backing,  they can turn an average bow into a great shooter.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:50:04 pm »
Boards are still wood. Carefully selected boards, and especially laminated boards, make excellent bows... every bit as good as stave bows IMO.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 08:02:19 pm »
yes I have made some nice shooting board bows,, I enjoy shooting any kind of wood bow  :)

Offline arachnid

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 12:39:40 pm »
This is a great build-a-long for a pyramid board bow from Tradgang.
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002064;p=1

My first good bow was built following these instructions. Very detaild and easy to build, better then Sam Harper's IMO.

Dor

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 01:05:21 am »
A straight grained hickory board can make a sweet bow, and the hickory backing is built in. :) 

Offline Jax666

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 08:11:16 am »
I have seen picture of board bows made from red oak, white oak, hickory, and hard maple. I plan to get my board from a lumber yard not Menard's. I will definitely back it.  I live in Central IL and I have heard Hickory is not the best for this area because of the humidity. What would you suggest I start with. I have a nice Osage so I am looking for a practice bow that if I screw up is no loss. I plan to stay in the 35-4o lbs range.
Jerry   

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 08:56:10 am »
Made a few board bows.   ;D  Using the likely selection ... red/white oak, hickory, ash, hard maple.  Most successful ones have been maple, but that's likely because I got hands on a wide super-grained piece ... and it just so happens that board came from Home Depot.  But, yes, it does hurt to pay the big box store prices!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 08:59:30 am »
I live in Central IL and I have heard Hickory is not the best for this area because of the humidity. What would you suggest I start with.
Jerry

HICKORY!!!! That wood be my first choice. But don't become focused on species specific...be more focused on a board from proven bow woods with proper grain selection as that's more important.

And what's wrong with Menard's lumber? 

Offline Jax666

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 05:58:58 pm »
And what's wrong with Menard's lumber?
[/quote]
Nothing except I have 2 Menard's close to me and every time I am in either I go through all of the oak, hickory, and maple 1"x2"x6' and 8' and have not found any with good grain. I hope Pekin Hardwood has a better selection even if I had to buy a larger piece and cut it down. I am hoping Pekin Hardwood will have someone who will work with me.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 08:11:14 pm »
Boards are still wood. Carefully selected boards, and especially laminated boards, make excellent bows... every bit as good as stave bows IMO.

Agreed
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 09:14:40 pm »
For what it's worth...
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 10:12:41 pm »
For what it's worth...
thank you kindly for posting this!
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders