Author Topic: How do you seal/finish your bows? what do you use, what is your process and why?  (Read 10582 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

I use either 10 coats of tru oil. Now on my own bows I'm going to start using a 50-50 mix of deer tallow and bees wax. So far I've only used it on a hickory bow and it soaked this stuff up like a sponge when heated with the heatgun on low then hand rubbed to a polish. I think I'm going to use it more often. It's completely natural and seems very water proof. It turns soft in your hand when rubbing it in but seems to stay hard when in the wood.

Kyle

Offline Adam

The smell of warm deer fat and beeswax is wonderful too.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Boring woods gets a Helmsman satin rattle can finish, pretty woods gets a coat of shellac wiped on, then 3-5 coats of tung oil wiped on then 3-4 coats of Johns paste wax.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

Pearly, does the coat of shellac before tung oil make a huge difference?

Offline dueb

Would the shallac stop the tung oil from penetrating the wood?
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
I like how it "activates" the grain. That's why I use it as a base coat under tung oil. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

I just started using shellac as a under coat and i think pearly has something there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wizardgoat

Cool, I'll give it a shot.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
I don't spend a lot of time of finishes. Wipe on some teak, or danish oil, cause that's what I have at the moment. That's it. You'll probably never see me sand a bow for myself to 400 grit or higher. I have no problem with tool marks, sanding marks, or imperfections. I'm a firm believer in the old saying "form follows function". Seal it with whatever's available and call it good :)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline darinputman

Haven't made many but have  used  the massey finish I use on my arrows, stain if desired then use the epoxy/acetone mixture (I substitute denatured alcohol for acetone), 6-8 coats. Have also stopped a couple of coats shy and put a couple coats of tru oil on last.  Makes for a very tough finish.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:42:11 pm by darinputman »

Offline bowsandroses

Soft woods I always use true oil. Hard woods for my own bows with no snake skins or raw hide I just use paraffin wax and wax them couple times a year.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline DavidV

I don't spend a lot of time of finishes. Wipe on some teak, or danish oil, cause that's what I have at the moment. That's it. You'll probably never see me sand a bow for myself to 400 grit or higher. I have no problem with tool marks, sanding marks, or imperfections. I'm a firm believer in the old saying "form follows function". Seal it with whatever's available and call it good :)

Tattoo Dave

That's exactly what I do too, or did. Moved on to using tung oil to bring out the grain then clear lacquer over the the top. Most people I've built for lately like a glossy finish so I wet sand and buff by hand. Steel wool for a matte finish.
Springfield, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
5 or 6 coats of True Oil, maybe more depending on what I plan on doing with it,000 steel wool between coats ,usually 1 coat a day depending on the weather and how it is drying. Then if I plan on hunting with it a couple coats of satin polly to dull the finish a bit. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Springbuck

Depends.  Usually I do any coloring with dyes rather than stains, and then use spar varnish or outdoor polyurathane.

But, on most of my primitives, I do the beeswax and fat finish, and I love it.  You CAN'T just wipe it on, though. There is a process.

I render just a few ounces of elk fat, (the hard waxy stuff off the hips, back and brisket) and then mix it 40:60 fat to beeswax or so.  I've done it with Crisco, too.  It cools very hard.  Then, when I have a truly finished and shot in, sanded bow, I put it in a hot car or in front of the fireplace to get good and warm.  I let the wood get hot enough to melt the wax, and just rub it on until it looks wet, then set the bow back to drink in the finish.  When the bow looks nice and dry, I do it again.  about 4 applications in, and thebow will feel dry, but water will just bead upp and roll off, and I have bows that still shed water tlike that years later.

Offline Dances with squirrels

I'm a stickler for a professional quality finish in looks and durability. I sometimes blend various colors of aniline dyes and then always apply several coats of Thunderbird epoxy finish with an air touchup gun... sanding in between coats as needed until the grain is filled... then a final coat or two and, wahlah.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer