Author Topic: hide glue and gelatin  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Renacs

hide glue and gelatin
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:25:05 am »
  Hey guys.  I have a bow with its first layer of sinew. The glue used was hide glue from pine hollow. I decided to add the second lay tomorrow but i'm out of hide glue, except for gelatin. I would think that the glues would bond together, but whats your opinion?
                                                                                                                                  Thank

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: hide glue and gelatin
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:28:52 am »
Id prefer to stick with the same glue, but in a pinch Id use gelatin with it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline russell

• Northeast, MT
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:45:06 pm »
I'm relatively new to bow making, but I've done a lot of work with woods and glues. I've never really liked mixing glues/adhesives unless I absolutely had to. Seems like when you're dealing with something as dynamic and bendy as a bow, glue-ups could get a little sketchy. This is PURELY an opinion - like I said, I'm new to bows.
->>>--------->
   John 14:6

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 04:15:29 pm »
I'm relatively new to bow making, but I've done a lot of work with woods and glues. I've never really liked mixing glues/adhesives unless I absolutely had to. Seems like when you're dealing with something as dynamic and bendy as a bow, glue-ups could get a little sketchy. This is PURELY an opinion - like I said, I'm new to bows.
Those two are from the same family of adhesives though. Very compatible and about like mixing two types of sinew on the same bow.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 04:18:38 pm »
I'm with Pat. Gelatin is just a food quality hide glue. CC

Offline russell

• Northeast, MT
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 04:49:41 pm »
Good to know ;)
->>>--------->
   John 14:6

Offline Renacs

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 06:15:48 pm »
 That's kinda of what i was thinking.  I'm trying to avoid buying more hide glue when i have alot of gelatin. plus the wife works a double monday.  Perfect time to set up in the kitchen.