Author Topic: Pedernales Knap-in 2015 Texas  (Read 2642 times)

Online JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Pedernales Knap-in 2015 Texas
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:23:26 pm »
2015 Pedernales Knap-In

The 2015 Pedernales Knap-In has been scheduled for April 10-12, 2015.  This is the weekend prior to Nibblet's Bluff Knap-In.

The Pedernales Knap-In site takes place at the Blanco County Fairgrounds in Johnson City, Texas. This is located on the north end of Johnson City, Texas, on the west side of U.S. Hwy 281, and on the south side of the Pedernales River.

You can preview the site by going to either Google Maps (satellite view) or Google Earth. Navigate to Johnson City, Texas (west of Austin), then follow U.S. Hwy 281 north to the Pedernales River. The rodeo arena is a good, easy to find landmark. You will be able to see the grove of trees between the rodeo arena and the barns.

Knappers have been pleased with this site. We have access to a small covered pavilion (for inclement weather knapping) and a large area between the pavilion and the rodeo arena with several nice shade trees. The Blanco County Fairgrounds offer knappers plenty of parking, easy in-easy out access, several nearby convenience stores and restaurants, electricity for late-night knapping, water faucets, on-site trash dumpsters, and enclosed restrooms. I will rig up a makeshift shower like I did last year.Knappers will be able to camp at their knapping area, in the parking area, or under some of the large live-oak trees near the arena. Alternatively, since the Fairgrounds are adjacent to the Pedernales River, camping is available next to the River if one so desires.

What we don't have on site is motor home/camp trailer hookups. However, there is the nice Roadrunner RV Park (830) 868-7449).It is located 1.5 miles south of the Fairgrounds on the east side of U.S. Hwy 281 and just across the road from the Valero convenience store and gas station. There are also a couple of motels in Johnson City for those who want more comfortable accommodations. They are near the traffic light at the intersection of US 281 and US 290. One is the nearly new Best Western (830) 868-4044 and the other is the older and less expensive Hill Country Inn (830) 868-2614.

We are trying very hard to maintain a cost-effective and affordable Knap-In. There will be no charge for camping. However, all Knappers and/or Vendors will be required to pay a $10 Registration Fee for the event. As usual, we will once again be asking knappers and vendors to donate items for our Saturday afternoon auction/fund raiser to help cover Knap-In expenses.

The Pedernales Knap-In will be open to the public at no charge. Since we are located right on the west side of U.S. Hwy 281 with high visibility and plenty of parking, we hope to attract the public in good numbers. We will also be submitting press releases to the local newspapers to advertise the event.

In closing, we hope to see many of you the second weekend of April, 2015 at the Blanco County Fairgrounds in Johnson City, Texas for the Pedernales Knap-In!!!

Let's Get Crackin'!!!

Ron Fieseler, Chairman
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:20:12 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JEB

Re: Pedernales Knap-in 2015 Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:41:53 pm »
Been  to  this  one  a couple  of times all  the way from Michigan  when it  was closer to Fredericksburg.  Had  the good fortune to  meet  Ron Fesseler  another  former marine.  Also got to watch   some really good flintknappers  like Dr. Dan,  Woody and Angela Parker just to name a few.

Well Ok, we  didn't drive  all the  way from Michigan to attend  the knap in but we did drive from the RV park located at 281 and 46.

This is a great knap in to attend if you get a chance.

Online JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:02:18 pm »
I hope I can make it to this one this year.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:35:05 am »
It's one of my favorites. 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!