Author Topic: Just to share  (Read 3739 times)

Offline kid bow

Just to share
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:57:10 pm »
Ok so i haven't contributed much here but i will now. Did some experimenting today about arrow and bow sealants. This whole experiment came about because I didn't want to deal with the toxic chemicals of the actual stain but need a good weather proofing. Also mom was kinda pissed i got stain on my good pair of jeans ( >:D hehehe) anyways i found that mixing coconut oil with olive oil together gives a dark hue to wood arrows and bows and really shows the grain pattern. Ill post pictures in the morning. When making use more coconut oil than olive oil. About a 2:1 portion and you can figure out your preference from there. Just mix with olive to coconut oil.

The coconut oil should be solid but will melt down and slowly mix with a stick or your finger. No heat needed. When youve got your first layer on heat lightly and then put another coat on. Hope  you guys found this helpful and please let me know what you guys think about it and what way work good for you.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline DavidV

Re: Just to share
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:50:40 pm »
The problem with that is olive an coconut oil never dries. Are you using it as a sealer or just for color? It may mess with any sealer you put on top.
Springfield, MO

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:59:52 pm »
Thats what the heat is for after you put it on.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:12:21 am »
I wonder the difference in this oil mix and boiled linseed or raw linseed some folks use.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:42:24 am »
The problem with that is olive an coconut oil never dries. Are you using it as a sealer or just for color? It may mess with any sealer you put on top.

That's what I wonder and does it actually seal the wood or does it just hydrate the wood. I know some people use olive oil in their hair when it's dry but use something else over the oil to seal it in.
I like osage

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 04:21:18 am »
oils will saponify or "dry" if you prefer, very slowly. linseed or flax oil is not much different than most other vegetable oils but boiled linseed will saponify quite quickly, similar to some paints. Some boiled linseed is actually boiled, but cheaper boiled linseed is chemically "boiled".  Wood working and furniture making forums cover oils and stains extensively . some oils will continue to darken too much with age

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:27:57 am »
Watch for rotting and smell.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 10:33:23 am »
Theres no smell.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 11:00:49 am »
Theres no smell.
Not yet. Have you ever seen someone who tries to season a cast iron pan with vegetable oil? It rots, and stinks.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 12:41:32 pm »
Not yet. Have you ever seen someone who tries to season a cast iron pan with vegetable oil? It rots, and stinks 

If you season it properly it shouldn't rot. Gots to heat that pan super hot.

From my google -fu I learned that there are three types of oils. Drying, semi-drying and non-drying.  "Drying" is a misnomer because really it's polymerizing. Tung and linseed are near the top for drying oils. I believe sesame oil is on the border of semi-drying/non-drying. Olive and coconut are non-drying. 

You might be able to add metal salts (usually lead based) to increase drying .

Linseed and Tung are a bit scary as the polymerization is exothermic (heat producing) . That is why oil-soaked rags can catch fire. 

Anyhow, olive oil and coconut are not sealing your bow. You might be able to heat the oil out of the wood.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 01:48:10 pm »
Its working for my bow. Its completely dry.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 01:55:50 pm »
kid bow you make me feel right at home, buddy! My boys gotter all figured out to!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 04:09:49 pm »
Keep on Keep'in on KB. We used to think you could not make bows out of kiln dried boards either. I got no experience at all so I have to go with proven methods for now but you keep pushing the envelope young man.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 04:17:39 pm »
No doubt the kid can make a bow. This is a fact. Let him experiment.  Hes got years to learn and discover things.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline kid bow

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 06:32:50 pm »
Hehe ill be honest im seriously confused. Oh well, I thought it was pretty cool. :laugh: