Author Topic: Help me build this narrow hickory bow  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Puckaway

Help me build this narrow hickory bow
« on: February 05, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »
I have a decent 68" hickory stave I pulled out of the pile and need to insight or pointers on layout options for this bow. I'd like to shoot for a 50#ish draw at my 26 inches. The stave is pretty clean. Please ignore my pencil lines. The stave is about 1 1/2" at the handle and narrows in a couple spots around 1 1/4 in a few places before mid limb. I'd assume that stiff handled bow would take too much set since the stave is so narrow already? My question is to you guys how would you make this bow given the dimensions I've listed so we end up decent hunting weight and acceptable string follow?

Offline Parnell

Re: Help me build this narrow hickory bow
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 01:55:48 pm »
Heat treat, heat treat, heat treat.  Hickory loves the heat.

P.s. If you do a bend through the handle bow that would be considered on the wide side.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:14:50 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 02:16:44 pm »
I am just finishing up a hickory with the same width as yours. 66" 55# at 28" draw, still holding an inch of reflex, and I did not put more than 2.5-3" of reflex in. I gave it a good heat treat as Parnell said. 4" Stiff handle and 4" total fade.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »
Personally I'd build a Cherokee style d bow thats what I'm seeing
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 03:12:33 pm »
I like the hickory floor also. I did my entire 1st floor in hickory too.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 06:35:50 pm »
I have never heat treated hickory.  I have a big stash I am thinking on working on.  When you heat treat, do you add pine pitch or anything while cooling, or just toast?
Westminster, MD

Offline Cade

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:35:31 pm »
Somebody said it was on the wide side, how narrow should one go for a hickory bendy handle?

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 07:48:38 pm »
Id say as little as 1 1/8 wide. i made one for Parnell thats probably 68  and a little over an inch  wide and is 50@28. I like hickory,makes food taste good too!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 07:58:58 pm »
Hey Puck,
Keep it as wide as you can, at 68" long you should have plenty of hickory to do a stiff handle bow if that's what your wanting.  If it 's anything like the hickory I'm working now you'll end up with a hunting weight bow for sure.  Here is a pic of a stretched out Sudbury design I'm working on.  the pic is just in process, but it might give you an idea.   It is at its widest 1 5/8" with very long fades and I heat treated the belly.  I'll posts some front profile pics when finish.  Specs 55 @ 28... I'd say, just go for it.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 08:07:50 pm »
+1 Bubby

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 12:59:55 am »
So.. Should I stick with the full length and just taper from fades to around half inch nocks, or try to maintain 1 1/4 until mid limb and then taper to tips?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 03:26:14 pm »
Puck,
I would maintain 1 1/4" to mid limb an then taper to the tips.  make sure your fades are smooth and graceful, no abrupt angles in the fades with hickory, or your chance some frets or crystals. 
DBar

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 03:30:36 pm »
I ended up with chrysals on my first hickory bow. I will do that.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 03:50:31 pm »
  I'd narrow to the current narrowest width, the 1-1/4" you mentioned, and make a bendy handle.   Then keep all the width you have until at LEAST 1/2 way out the limb, maybe only taper the last 1/3rd.  Even with the narrow profile, your limb won't be very thick. 

A Cherokee bow would work, but a modified Cherokee that narrows at the ends, or skinny flatbow makes the most sense.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 06:11:09 pm »
I think at this stage it would be good to produce a good shooter.  Once you have a dozen or so bows under your belt then work on a particular design. 
Puck,  you've got enough hickory to make a bendy or stiff handle bow at your draw length.  Do what you want and feel comfortable with.
DBar