Author Topic: pheasant feather backed Osage bow  (Read 21716 times)

Offline GB

Re: need some opinions
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 04:43:54 pm »
I'm thinking that is a really pretty bow.  Nice work!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 04:57:31 pm »
  First off, beautiful bow! The ring neck pheasant with the reddish head and white ring? I would say burgundy with white wraps to simulate would be a thought.
                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 05:13:28 pm »
Another WOW! from this quarter. Nice work. I would not pretend to be able to help with handle color.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 05:20:14 pm »
Feather grip? lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 05:29:46 pm »
I say turquoise  >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 05:30:57 pm »
Black leather with a red burgundy lacing Strunk style ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 06:11:47 pm »
OK Everyone go ask their wives and report back with the REAL answer >:D >:D

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 06:14:50 pm »
I think bad chris nailed it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 07:35:47 pm »
Really like the feather backing Josh....As far as color I think red burgundy leather with black lacing Strunk style....opposite of BH.  I think the black leather would too much for the feathers.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Josh B

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 07:57:54 pm »
Thanks fellas!  Bill, I think that's what I'm gonna do.  Mainly because that's what I have with me. ;)  She knows about the bow because she picked the stave(DVShunter gave it to me at mojam), picked out the design, made her changes and then stood right there and made sure it was to her specifications.  Once it was all tillered and ready to be shot in, she put it through its paces.  After a few adjustments, again to her specifications, I was given the green light to finish it with only two restrictions.  No snake skin, no beaver tail grip.  She does not know about the pheasant feathers, so that part is the surprise.  I'm going to go ahead and wrap the handle to make it more presentable for her first glimpse at it and then I'll have her read you guy's suggestions.  Believe me, if she likes one of your suggestions more, it will be changed.  The overlays are mesquite heartwood and sapwood for whoever it was that asked.  Pat...don't get ahead of me.  I'm doing another bow similarly for the classic table.  I'm studying on how to use those neck feathers for the grip. We'll see.  Thanks again fellas !  Here's the overlay.  Josh

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 08:09:44 pm »
Josh, first off nice looking little bow. Second, how old is your daughter? If it was my daughter I would say a pink leather wrap with black leather lace. John Strunk style.

I say that because I built one for my niece out of the same log that Dave gave both you and me. I'm trying to figure out the Strunk handle now. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 08:16:59 pm »
I vote black

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 08:26:16 pm »
Beautiful bow Josh, your a pretty cool dad for putting that much work into her bow. I think that combo Bill suggested will look great on it. Show some more pics. when your done.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 08:49:02 pm »
WOW!  That's awesome!  I like your plan.   I would suggest you consider going black on the handle with pink lacing to tie in with the string.  But I'm sure she will like it what ever you do!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 08:19:47 am »
I think the burgundy will go great with the string. Might as well use what you got and get finished!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA