Author Topic: Winged Elm  (Read 7161 times)

Offline alwayslookin

Re: Winged Elm
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 01:05:10 pm »
In for the show :D
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 01:15:10 pm »
Think she'll run too narrow?  That's all I could pull with the stave...we'll see.  What do you think would be ideal for Elm at that length?

I know you didn't ask ME, but I work with elm a ton.  To me, that 1.25" would be pretty narrow if you factor in the wood and how long/big the recurves are.  Skinny bows with big recurves are often hard to get stable.  BUT, leave the length to avoid excessive set between the recurves and the handle, and to prevent breakage.

You are right about the feel of the draw on those, though! LIKE BUTTAH!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 01:16:19 pm »
Very nice, I like winged elm a lot, it makes a very tough bow, just keep it dry, It is as bad or worse than Hickory in the taking on moisture aspect. :) that should make a beauty.
  Pappy

That's interesting.  I haven't noticed this in other elms, but maybe that's due to where I live, too.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 03:01:41 pm »
Where are you Springbuck?
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 03:08:59 pm »
I thought it odd myself, but pappy lives in Humidsville, TN.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 05:43:58 pm »
  Utah.  Not too hard to dry wood here.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 05:48:35 pm »
Lucky. Dry bows are happy bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 05:51:57 pm »
That's correct pd ;) happy happy dry dry
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline rps3

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 05:52:17 pm »
I would have bet good money that those hooks would have had to be steamed in. Shows what I know. When I start working more of my elm I look forward to it being so pliable. Will be watching.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 09:02:25 pm »
I would have bet good money that those hooks would have had to be steamed in. Shows what I know. When I start working more of my elm I look forward to it being so pliable. Will be watching.

Impressed me, too, but you can do a lot if you get it thin to start with, slowly heat it well, and crank into position at the same time.  I bent the heck out of some black locust once that was 3/8" thick.

Yeah, we had a humid spring two years ago that lasted into June and it really threw me off.  I couldn't figure out why I suddenly was havinjg a whole different set of problems.

Offline russell

• Northeast, MT
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 08:58:58 am »
Hi, did you use steam or some other heat source for assisting in the bending?
nice bend
Garry

Crisco and a heat gun for the heat.

Did you use Crisco all the way around and heat all the way around, or just the back of the bow while clamping it down?

Thanks, Mark
->>>--------->
   John 14:6

Offline Parnell

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 10:07:22 am »
SW Florida is a different beast from Utah in the humidity department'.  It'll be interesting to see how it does.
Russell, I do coat the whole limb in Crisco before I heat it.
My heat gun has a temperature dial and I set it medium and slowly work in the heat all around the limb so it penetrates.  Certainly, I don't concentrate the heat too much on the back of the bow but I do glance over it and the sides, but the belly gets the lion's share.  Make sure the limbs aren't too thick, as stated.  That was my biggest mistake when I was starting out.  Sand everything perfectly SMOOTH and go!

Did a little more scraping last night to get the blank closer to ground tiller now that the recurves have changed everything.

Here are some pictures.  Also, you can see how the whoop-dee-doo influenced the recurve, but it looks pretty good to me.

Check out my neon pink and chartreuse arrows with tamarack shafting.  Should match up well.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:53:30 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 10:41:30 am »
NICE!

OneBow

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 11:19:41 am »
Looking good Steve. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 09:39:14 pm »
Look'n good can't wait to see it finished.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?