Author Topic: wood strength information  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
wood strength information
« on: January 30, 2015, 12:03:27 pm »
Just thought some of you might like to know that the "Wood Handbook" by the Forest Products Laboratory is available for free download by chapters. (Some of the chapters, such as the first three, are more valuable for our uses.) http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/several_pubs.php?grouping_id=100&header_id=p

The Forest Products Laboratory is the original source of virtually all the test data in all other American books or websites that report the mechanical  properties of woods, including "The Wood Database." The latter is being put together through a lot of work to  make a more appealing product for visually motivated readers. But the test data is from  the FPL. There is always the chance of clerical error in transcribing anything, so for me, I will  stick  with the primary source.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Woody Knot

• Woody Knot Crafts
Re: wood strength information
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:28:16 pm »
Cheers  for that  :)
Garry

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:40:38 am »
I made a bar chart series of the properties of some of the popular woods, then forgot all about it.  I was going to post it here.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 03:52:06 pm »
I downloaded some of their info many years ago but then I got this CD about 10 years ago, it is quite informative but doesn't seem to like the newer operating systems as much.

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 10:23:39 am »
Great information, thanks for sharing.
joachim

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:39:44 am »
Remember that green colored book cover SOOOOO well.  Pages were well worn by the time we left Purdue.  It was finally misplaced after one of our many moves.  Good to know about the electronic version!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857