Author Topic: looking for words of great wisdom  (Read 8371 times)

Offline cbeers47

Re: looking for words of great wisdom
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 07:22:55 pm »
ok so bow is 68" tip to tip and is 1" 11/16 wide mid limbs through the handle and tapers to just under 1/2" at the tips

Offline cbeers47

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 07:25:35 pm »
limbs start to tapper 15" 1/2 from the tip which is right about exactly at half the limb

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 07:26:39 pm »
Backed with fi..fi..fiber..ber......I just cant say it! :-\ :-X
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:35 pm »
It's backed with what :o, you mean the sheetrock tape right
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline cbeers47

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 11:31:04 am »
ok guys im back i was working on the tillering some today and the fiberglass popped off the back do i need to get a backing on the ipe or do you guys think it will hold im trying to find bamboo but its not easy to come buy around me or at least so it seems

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 12:04:50 pm »
Fiberglass is a dirty wood around here. 

Offline cbeers47

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 12:09:26 pm »
yeah i found that out my question really is do you think i need to back it at all target is 60# @ 28-30''

Offline cbeers47

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 01:50:17 pm »
alright got her braced and pulled to 26'' @ 60# guys hows the tiller looking thanks for the help i got about 2-4 inches to get out of her

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 03:41:08 pm »
No fades = Big trouble

I see fades, but they are QUITE abrupt as he says.  This means the first few inches of the limb from the handle should be not bendingat all, and unfortunately that is where you are currently bending the most.

EDIT:  this comment was made regarding your first set of photos.  It does not apply to most recent pic.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:30:33 am by Springbuck »

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 04:20:45 pm »
 Stop a sec, Cheers.  Yer doing ok, but there are a couple of major, but easily overlooked things going on here to think about before you finish.

1.  Backing is up to you.  I have seen a decent number of ipe self bows.  BUT, Ipe grain is notoriously hard to read. If you took the glass off the front and are looking at finishing the bow without backing, take a LONG slow look at the back, in good light, with a magnifying glass.  Ipe is hard, stiff, and has great tensile strength, but if the grain is bad, that just means that when it goes, it goes.

2.  On long string or braced, youy NEED to pull the bow evenly. On your posted pics, it is obvious that the tiller stick is NOT 90 degrees from the center of the bow, AND it is different one each photo (unless the photos were taken at much different angles, or the bow was turned one way or the other).

Pull the bow to a notch and make sure the cradle on your tillering stick is in exactly the same place each time,

AND that the same spot on the string goes in the notch each time,

AND that the part of the string that goes in the notch is exactly behind the place on the handle that goes in the cradle.  Mark it.

3.  It looks like your bottom limb is longer than your top limb.  Generally, for this style of bow, you want your limbs the same length, or the top one slightly longer and bending slightly more.

4.  NO ONE can really tell you what proper tiller should look like from only the side.  We NEED a front view of the bow, and stats like width and length to really help nail it down.

5.  If your backing lifted, why?  did you use the same glue on the handle build-ups?

Yes, you can leave the tips thick.  The thicker they are, the narrower they can be.   The width on most bows would be decreasing toward the tips, anyway.   This means the width should be decreasing even more (or CAN taper faster, or narrower) be3cause your tip is thickened.

Offline cbeers47

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 05:18:09 pm »
thank you springbuck, ok i posted dimensions back a few days ago should be towards top of page 2. i didnt even think of the tiller stick not being strait!! i will improve that before i move on any further. also the backing was fiberglass. resin was the glue and it separated after a while the handle and overlays were glued by a 2 part epoxy i cleaned both woods with acetone before gluing up. i had one problem at first with an overlay breaking off but it was because i clamped to tight pushing most the epoxy out. i re-glued and havent had a problem yet.   as for limb length if i measure to from each tip to where handle area starts they are exact same. the arrow rest is about 1 1/2 inches off middle of the bow. thank you for the advice if i can tell you anymore or if you think i need better photos i can do so once i get the tiller stick figured out i will post new photos with the new methods. thank you again   

Offline bushboy

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 05:32:06 pm »
Looks flat on the right out of the fade for about plus or minus 10"
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 08:06:11 pm »
If the tips end up narrower than their thickness,  it is an invitation for them to bend sideways when strung.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 05:28:23 am »
  Ah, thanks.. I couldn't see the second set of pics and posts of yours while I was typing my post.

Offline cbeers47

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 04:19:30 pm »
okay well here i have the improved tiller stick and i decided to epoxy the fiberglass back on seems to be holding good here it is drawing 60# @ 26'' . i thought its looking pretty decent im going to sand down everything and she where its at after sanding