Author Topic: Bracers  (Read 5954 times)

Offline DC

Bracers
« on: January 26, 2015, 05:50:23 pm »
For those of you that use a bracer, do you use it because you get smacked in the arm every time or just once in a while?

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Bracers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:59:46 pm »
I use it with any new bow I haven't shot in yet. I take a little bit to get used to every bow, just slow that way, so I spare myself a few bruises ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 06:04:24 pm »
I use mine every time I shoot. The string doesn't necessarily slap me a lot but I use it to keep my shirt or jacket sleeve out of the way. I like consistency is my shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mhof86

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:08:24 pm »
I used to shoot with one every time but haven't used one in probably 2 months. Haven't shot a whole lot though lately either. I guess if I was going out all day I would through it on.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:19:24 pm »
I think if you are getting smacked every time, there is a issue with letting your bowhand wrist collapse in, or perhaps overdrawing.  I used to use a bracer/armguard regularly, and would get smacked once in a while, but since going to more of an open stance, I never need one.  I still put in on for hunting to avoid any possible sleeve interference though (plus I have a really cool one from Carson at Echo Archery, and it seems like a shame not to use it!).

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:39:30 pm »
I'm not sure if it hits me every time so it probably doesn't. I'm busy trying to pay attention to everything else. The clothes thing has happened but I usually wear a tight sleeved sweater to avoid that. I was just trying to get an idea of what the norm was.
Thanks
Don

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:17:42 pm »
I wear one most of the time, as far as slap i dont think I've got any string slap since i switched to fast flight strings
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:15:24 pm »
I have one with a knife. I use it because you look cool 8).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 09:24:50 pm »
I always use one. The bracer serves two purposes, one for the string slap, the other and more important is protection against a damaged or under-spined arrow shaft breaking and imbedding in the fore arm--I know a young man this happened to, and it wasn't pretty.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 09:32:23 pm »
I use one all the time.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Blob

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 09:57:12 pm »
I use mine every time I shoot. The string doesn't necessarily slap me a lot but I use it to keep my shirt or jacket sleeve out of the way. I like consistency is my shooting.

Same thing for me

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 05:14:13 am »
Eddie  ;) :) :) :) you ant right. :) I use one most of the time to keep my sleeve out of the way. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 05:27:46 am »
I wear one every time - more out of habit than anything  ;) Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline beartail

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 08:46:00 am »
I wear one all the time for all the reasons mentioned. especially for the shaft in the arm! Being diabetic I fear any wound,especially one  that bad.it takes me three times as long or more to heal now and infection is something I don't like to fight. the next reason is the sleeve. I made my bracer from a child's sheen guard. I trimmed it up and added some bungee string for straps.ain't nothing getting in there

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 09:44:50 am »
Pap, mentioned a few reasons.

Also, those who shoot with closed stances (erect, right angles to target) definitely need a bracer.

During my FG days I rarely needed a bracer.

What is another reason why selfbow shooters might? :)

I'll ask that question to open it up.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!