Author Topic: Power Sander Survey:  (Read 7377 times)

Offline Comancheria

Re: Power Sander Survey:
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 04:11:37 pm »
Thanks for all the good info. 

As luck would have it, I just shuffled through a Home Depot and saw the Ridgid mentioned.  I will not be doing any laminations--so would this tool be a good substitute for a regular old belt sander?  (I realize it would not have the power or ability to remove material that a six-inch sander would.)

And Bubby--I guess my question for you would be--would the Ridgid tool perform
For getting down to the line as you show in your buildalong?

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 04:50:15 pm »
Yup Russ it will, get some of those red belts in 36 grit and it will take it right down, thats also the belt i use to glue on handles and flatten horn and other tip overlays
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 06:05:02 pm »
Yup Russ it will, get some of those red belts in 36 grit and it will take it right down, thats also the belt i use to glue on handles and flatten horn and other tip overlays
Oooooh you can get 36 grit?  :o
I use 40, it's the coarsest I can find here. My cheapo belt sander doesn't do much with anything finer.
I shall ask Mr Google if he knows where I can get for some 36 grit
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »
I also have a Grizzly 6"x 36" and use it for rough shaping tips, pre-shaping tip overlays and a few other things but never for tillering. Everything I do with the belt sander I could(and have) do with hand tools.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 06:50:37 pm »
I am going to seriously consider that Ridgid--until I can afford a
beast of a six X 48.  Space is also an issue in my shop--err uh, garage.

When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline JonW

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 08:06:44 pm »
I wouldn't know how to build a bow without one.  ::)

I remember bow making without a belt sander. My hands still want to draw up just looking at a rasp :o Might be from the compound dislocation of fingers though lol.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 09:36:48 pm »
I've had a few of the benchtop belt sanders.  They work fine for bow building.  I recently traded for a Grizzly 6x48.  The reason I traded was for more power and the ability to order replacement parts from Grizzly if I needed to.  I also have a small Delta 1" belt sander.  Its great for detail sanding.  I use it for grinding turkey feathers and arrow making. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 09:51:27 pm »
My belt sander is my most used power tool. I lock it upside down in my Workmate and use it as a bench sander. I shape ever facet of my bows with them. I've worn out more than I care to count, so I spend more on the heavier models as they stand up better to the abuse. Use it right up to floor tiller. Only power tool I wont be without.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 10:21:18 pm »
I generally use a bench sander to get it to floor tiller then its hand tools from then on. But either way you want to do it, just make some bows and post lots of pics
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 10:27:19 pm »
I use a quarter sheet palm sander for smoothing things out and getting rid of tool marks in the handle area and for initial sanding of the belly when all is tillered out.  But again, you can spend 20 minutes getting something right with hand tools and two seconds to screw it up with a power tool.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 10:44:10 pm »
oscillating spindle sander 80 grit.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 01:02:51 am »
I've got a belt sander and it is handy for flattening surfaces, but I could easily get by without it.
Gordon

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 03:02:46 pm »
Dragging this thread up again for a follow up question: Since the Ridgid Oscillating Belt/Spindle unit was brought up, and having researched it all over the net, I find a huge number of positive reviews--even woodworking threads not related to it get hijacked to talk about how great it is.

I see though that you cannot stop the belt oscillation--so my question is--would this ever be a disadvantage--(thinking only about the limited use for making bows)?

Russ

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 03:06:32 pm »
Nope
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 06:02:54 pm »
Thanks, Bubby.  You are a man who chooses his words carefully.  😊

Looks like I have my two power tools picked out.  Now, no more whining on my part about what to buy!  Have to get off my WalMart-Cart-size rear end and start building bows!

Russ