Author Topic: to join or why not to join?  (Read 17074 times)

Offline Tyke

Re: to join or why not to join?
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 10:48:08 pm »
Well i got answers. If you join lets have fun.if you cant,live vicariously through us and if you just dont want to im sure your reasons are probably greater than i know. I personally would like to thank the greats for there knowledge,my peers for learning from each others follies and to friends future,past and present
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:21:43 pm by Tyke »
why buy it when you can build it

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2015, 12:31:47 am »
I had a great time last year with the trade.  This year I am just spread so thin.  I am working on a couple of personal trades and starting a business.  No time this year.  I love the spirit of the trade.  Makes you worry more about your bow than the bow you send than the one you receive. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2015, 05:06:58 am »
Real simple for me, I don't like deadlines, get enough at work ,don't need them in my play. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2015, 08:37:04 am »
Tyke forgets that not everyone is half beaver like him. Tyke is the fastest bow builder I know of (Doesn't take much >:D). If he had the wood he could easily make a bow a day, and a good one at that!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2015, 12:31:40 pm »
I love the spirit of the trade and i really wish i could partake this year...just way to many variables in my life right now... The elephant in the room(IMO) is that alot of the folks who have ran the trade in the past dont do the trades anymore...maybe cuz they have seen the dirty underbelly, lol... ;) ;D Every one has their reasons for doin or not doin the trade. I would not sweat the lower # of folks involved this round.. Just enjoy your build, have fun, and post lots of pics for those of us who cant do it this round 👍👍..... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 12:36:26 pm »
It's an easy "no" for me.

I ain't made a bow that's held together yet.  I've been working on the same little oak board for 6 months.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 01:53:44 pm »
I wont be able to do it because I have a big trip planned for when I would be working on it. I have been doing one on one trades.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 01:56:53 pm »
I read through the reasons why not. I agree with all of them.

I really want to give a nice bow to someone to appreciate. My personal list of giveaway bows is always growing.

Looking at the past tradebow threads, there are only a few outliers that walked away with negative experiences. Many if not all, had issues while working their bows. In the end all of them looked fantastic.

When I see an awesome bow on here I get a bit jealous. Not that they have a nice bow, I'm jealous of the skill and workmanship that went into it. I think "I wish I could make a bow that nice". It inspires me.

Recieving a nice bow would be awesome, but the main reason I'm on here is to make my own bows and learn the process and trials and tribulations.

My reasons why not: wood isn't cured long enough, too many to make for friends family and coworkers, and the last two bows I made(haven't posted), came in under 30#.

Not that anyone would notice my absence from the trade bow . Maybe next year.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 02:20:34 pm »
The elephant in the room(IMO) is that alot of the folks who have ran the trade in the past dont do the trades anymore...maybe cuz they have seen the dirty underbelly, lol... ;) ;D

I've thought about that myself, and I think I'll be back next year for the bow trade. I've run some contests on reddit that don't always go so pretty, been the judge of a couple where there's a misconception that the subject is completely relative and can't be standardized, and I've moderated a few subs with trolls under their bridges ;) I'm young and don't get worn down by that garbage yet, I figure I might help like that.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 06:02:09 pm »
 I am in this to give back. And a heads up to anyone who may be trying to pull one over on us  >:D, I will hunt you down. I will call your work, school, find any accounts on social media, find where your grandma lives. Everyone you know will know that you are a cheat! I don't expect any issues, but I have lots of spare time!  >:D Never underestimate a computer literate fat guy with lots of spare time.

That being said, lets do this gents!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 07:19:08 pm »
I am in this to give back. And a heads up to anyone who may be trying to pull one over on us  >:D, I will hunt you down. I will call your work, school, find any accounts on social media, find where your grandma lives. Everyone you know will know that you are a cheat! I don't expect any issues, but I have lots of spare time!  >:D Never underestimate a computer literate fat guy with lots of spare time.

Love it......

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 07:57:51 pm »

We're going to start calling you the "bad Joe"........ :) :) ;)

I'm with Pappy on this one.....I have worked most of my life with dead lines and have been in many competitions.  I know that this is not a competition, I just like doing things in my time frame these days... ;)
I wouldn't mind getting in on some one on one bow trades now that I have a few bows under my belt.

DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 08:41:06 pm »
I joined the trade to make someone else something special. I enjoy others work as well. I'm going outta my comfort zone on plan A. I got a few others lined up as well. I hope to make a bow that brings a tear to my eye when putting it in a tube and leaving the post office without it.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 09:19:31 pm »

Could always use a Deputy. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tyke

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 09:26:13 pm »
A regular old barney fife  :laugh:
why buy it when you can build it