Author Topic: ERC is great bow wood!  (Read 50343 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: ERC is great bow wood!
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:27 pm »
66" ntn and I was shooting for 32 ish @ 24-25. It was just over an inch wide and the whole bow was bending out to the tips. I wasn't asking much of it at all.

Flat belly or D section?

I've never had problems with ERC

A shallow D. There may have been 3/8" down the center that was flat. My opinion? Possibly too dry and rings too thick for this type of wood. Im sure if I went longer and wider it would work. But I cant see doing that for a pee wee bow like I need. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:25 pm »
Yep cedar is a fickle wood!  Too pretty not to try, but not one of the great bow woods.  I have a nice shooting sinew backed ERC.  I tried an all heartwood rawhide backed last year and it blew up during tillering - pictures posted here somewhere.  I have some staves I am still going to try. 

Can't tell for sure how much sapwood you had on this one Chris - do you think the sapwood is better than the heartwood?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 09:09:59 pm »
I can say for sure that a self bow with more sapwood is real good for ERC.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 09:26:18 pm »
I didn't have 2 hours in this thing,

You are recognized as a very prolific bowyer, one with a backlog of experience that allows you to take shortcuts that would be a death sentence to another bowyer's work.  But in this case, with this being a newer wood for you, maybe you were rushing things a little? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2015, 05:54:05 am »
Glad to hear that no blood was shed ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:53 am »
Yep, about made me quite making bow 25+ years ago. Haven't tried it in years, the only really good one I have made from it, I am talking selfbow was all sap, it's still together and pretty snappy. :) Got no reason or desire to go back, they blow with some real enthusiasm don't they. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:43:27 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 07:49:31 am »
Just me, but with all the stories about erc explosions, I dont think I could ever be comfortable enough with one to take it hunting. Has ayone else done any hard hunting with unbacked erc?
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

blackhawk

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 07:57:46 am »
Glad to hear that no blood was shed ! Bob

Blood might not be good,but a good whack in his head might not be such a bad thing...he could use it  ::)  :laugh:

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 08:07:52 am »
I am sure their are exceptions Cody, and we will hear about them ;) :) :) but I had some many blow[keep in mind I hadn't done many at the time] that I flinch even thinking about it and still blame part of my short draw problem on trying to shoot one. I tried rawhide and they even blew, never tried sinew I hear that work great  :-\ :-\ Yep Chris it sure couldn't hurt him. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 08:50:57 am »
You both better watch it! Marshall and Elm Hall aren't that far away and I have dang good memory :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 03:08:38 pm »
...and I have dang good memory :)

You do right now.  But if ERC bits and pieces keep banging on your brain bucket you might not!   >:D :o

OneBow

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 12:06:37 am »
+1bow
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

mikekeswick

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2015, 02:56:39 am »
Good bow wood doesn't need a back. Good bow wood stands alone IMHO.

Good SELFbow wood - agreed.....but what about juniper/sinew, yew/sinew etc

blackhawk

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2015, 08:13:49 am »
Who knows if this would've survived being a bit wider and backed..we won't ever know. But it just might have. ERC rarely ever just lifts a splinter or crack and not come apart. When it does so it comes apart into pieces as shown here. A backing could've kept it from lifting that splinter and exploding. Its a very elastic wood,and can bend very far before breaking as long as its backed. Being unbacked in my crude  bend tests with it it just doesn't go very far at all before breaking in tension. Just like this one didnt go very far before breaking. Its of my opinion that "chances" are that this isn't 100% the woods fault.

One other thing is that you can't "rush" this wood when bending/tillering it. You can't treat it like osage,yew,or hickory for example. It needs to be patiently taught how to bend,and thoroughly exercised as its being tillered. And the rule of not bending it any further than when the teeniest tineiest slightest hinge is seen must be adhered to.  You can't go to first bracing it,and saying that looks good and yanking it back to 20"+. Sorry but it don't matter how good a bowyer someone is,you just don't go making a ERC bow(let alone unbacked) in two hours. But pearly isn't a "patient" bowyer,and ERC is def not made to his liking and style of bowmaking or personality. Hopefully no offense is taken pal. ERC isn't for everyones style and how they make bows. ERC gets such a bad rep,but I think a lot of it is just as much the person as it is the wood if not more actually.

Sure it isn't a great "selfbow" wood,but if treated right it can make a great backed bow still.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2015, 10:06:31 am »
Good bow wood doesn't need a back. Good bow wood stands alone IMHO.

Good SELFbow wood - agreed.....but what about juniper/sinew, yew/sinew etc

Both of those woods are very capable of standing alone.