Author Topic: ERC is great bow wood!  (Read 50278 times)

Offline missilemaster

Re: ERC is great bow wood!
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2015, 11:36:04 am »
Where I come from in Canada "sediment" is a weighty opinion.  >:D
  ;D

I agree with PD.  Yes, ERC is very pretty wood.  I'll admit to being a cautious bowyer, but my go to shooters are osage, either from a stave or as the belly in a lam bow.  I shoot a few times every week in my basement and it's hard to keep good form if you're worried that the bow is going to explode on the next draw.  Of course, osage breaks too, but rarely especially compared to ERC.  And it's great looking wood in its own right.

Thats a great point GB.  I think much of the target panic that I have had to overcome has come from shooting bows that I was less than confident in.  Osage is tried and true!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Roy

« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2015, 08:13:40 am »
I don't have any problems making a bow from ERC.. I'm thinking ole Pearly boy doesn't know how to make a good bow...  :)

blackhawk

« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2015, 08:26:15 am »
I don't have any problems making a bow from ERC.. I'm thinking ole Pearly boy doesn't know how to make a good bow...  :)

That's because you treat it right...... And stuff it in between boo and osage ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2015, 08:32:57 am »
Its February now, isn't ERC appreciation month over?  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2015, 10:21:19 am »
I've seen a lot of exploded ERC bows over the years.  Just because it hasn't happened to me yet doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2015, 01:41:01 pm »
Flint knappers may be able to relate to what I am going to say....If you work chert, agate, grainy tough stuff for a long time, then pick up obsidian, you tend to crush everything that's soft. ERC is much the same way, yep it is very fragile in some regards.....but just like tough jaspers, and soft obsidian it all has it's place.

Now if we can get Pearlie to be nice to weaker woods, maybe this thread would have died some pages back. :)

Pearlie is a fine bowyer, just don't let him loose in your China closet. :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2015, 02:05:40 pm »
I agree Im a bit of a bull in the shop Brian! If we where discussing hunting a weight bow out to say 27-28", Id buy all you typed. But we are talking about a very long, very light, very short drawn bow that blew into 12 pieces, fast. I just don't think any coaxing on my part would have done a thing to change the outcome. I had pieces where the sap wood seperated, other pieces broke clean through both sap and heart wood. Plus a bunch I cant identify! That's nearly every kind of break possible in one bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2015, 02:10:01 pm »
Pearly ya have come up with all the excuses now. Just admit it, ya can't make bows when it counts....

LMAO  :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2015, 02:23:16 pm »
Zip it up ol' fart!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2015, 02:47:57 pm »
Pearly ya have come up with all the excuses now. Just admit it, ya can't make bows when it counts....

LMAO  :)

Due to the APPARENT and DEMONSTRATED danger inherent in bows either made of ERC by any bowyer or of any wood if made by Pearly Bows, Inc. LLC, an immediate international recall order of ALL bows matching these criterion has been issued by the PA Bow Safety Commission.  This order has been issued exclusively in the interest of protecting the bow loving public from unreasonable risk.  All such bows should be shipped immediately to the following address for proper quarantine and containment.

ERC and Pearly Bows RECALL Action
     C/O - OneBow Safety Services, Inc. LLC
     123 OneBow's House
     Iwish, MO  65803

OneBow

Offline pincushin

« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2015, 02:57:57 pm »
Omg  I spit on my key board laughing so hard >:D

Offline Josh B

« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2015, 03:03:55 pm »
Lol!  Good one Eric!   I wish I would have thought of that!  Josh

Offline PatM

« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2015, 03:25:16 pm »
Onebowonder, You can't be an LLC and  Inc at the same time. We're onto your ruse.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2015, 03:31:24 pm »
Onebowonder, You can't be an LLC and  Inc at the same time. We're onto your ruse.

We can't quibble about such trivialities - the bow loving public's safety is in jeopardy!  Hurry up and get out those tubes and start shipping those bows in!!!

OneBow

Offline adb

« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2015, 03:46:03 pm »
Bahahaha! Good one. LMAO!!  ;D ;D ;D